1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Black Soft Plastics

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Alan Bonnici, May 18, 2019.

1. Alan Bonnici

Alan Bonnici New Member

Feb 5, 2019
    I’ve been getting asked a lot lately if Black soft plastics work so during the week I set out to conduct a short fishing challenge in Port Phillip Bay using only black soft plastics and had great results.

The video can be seen at - if you enjoy the video then please subscribe to the channel

We fished in Black Rock in a small runabout boat during high tide. Using only 5cm pro grubs in UV black with 1/8 jig heads we set ourselves 90 minutes to catch as many pinkies as we could. We caught plenty of pinkies and a couple of flatties.

diesel, Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Of course they do especially at night or in very deep water

3. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Have fluked a few good flatties on black Squidgy shads

4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Why do you say 'fluked'? You weren't targeting flatties?

Apparently black plastic 'grubs' are a popular choice for yellas in freshwater. The only Murray cod that I have hooked (and lost said cod) on SP's came on a black colored plastic.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Back in black!

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've caught yellas on 38mm Charlie Brewer Crappie Sliders in black with a yellow paddle tail, especially in really dirty water. Sooty grunter will have a go at them also, but when sooties are on the chew they will just about have a crack at any colour.

CB Crappie Slider.jpg
    38mm Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider

Jeff

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I say 'fluked' because I'd had no previous success with same. Were it to happen again, the word would not apply.
    Jeff, the lure shown at least appears to have a glued on tail. Usually when dramatic colour changes are seen like that, there's a slight fading in effect. Certainly of little importance to a fish.

diesel, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.