1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

BLOODY MICROSOFT

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Dec 1, 2019 at 8:24 AM.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Have any of you guys had your computer changed/updated, or whatever the jargon for such things is by Microsoft?
    Opened my laptop this morning and nothing of what I had remains. The entire system of operation has been blown out. Most desktop icons are missing (but doubtless still there somewhere). My large list of favourites/commonly used sites, had likewise disappeared.
    Haven't found how to access my documents or pictures yet.
    The sites I finally got into; Gmail and through it TBX, both needed resetting user names and passwords.
    I am no computer guru. I find this, not frustrating, but totally maddening.
    I will have no option but to call in the guru to help me work through it. And that won't be today.
    Noel
    Off the planet with frustration

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019 at 9:20 AM
  2. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Also just found that after playing; (while I could do little else), CHALLENGE SERIES SPIDER SOLITAIRE fairly seriously, I have wasted my time without warning, thanks to Microsoft. This has involved, over a year, hundreds of games, playing two suits at their 'masters' level of difficulty, and the longest game took over five hours, spanning several days to win. I had reached their level 332 after going through several hundred games to reach their 'Grand Master's' Bronze level. After another 200 consecutively won games, I got to Grand Master's Silver, then reached level 332. You only go up a level after several games, not every won game. This is surely fairly high standard stuff in any book. It seems the entire challenge system no longer exists. This has peed me off no end. I would never get anything out of it. You only play against yourself with their data base up grading scores and skill levels but I had really looked forward to what I thought would be the Gold level of Grand Masters at the end. It seems to have all been in vain after a year of wasted spare time.
    P'd off Noel

3. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Post redundant; deleted.

creekboy likes this.
  4. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Turned on the laptop this morning and all the new Microsoft/Windows Edge stuff has gone. The whole thing has returned to normal. Yesterday all my folders were empty. That was scary. No pictures, no documents, no videos and the list went on. I have no answers and don't care. I've been told numerous times that modern computers are able, often, to sort out their own problems. Maybe that's what happened.
    Noel
    Will never be a guru

5. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    From the small bit of digging I did last night it appears that desktop icons and browser favorites going AWOL isn't that unusual with Windows updates (I found issues being reported as far as 2013). Reasons for it happening were somewhat varied. That said, the fact that it reverted to the way it was after turning it on this morning is a bit weird.
    I'm not a Windows guy, so take this with a grain of salt, but I suspect it's a case of some aspect of the update being incomplete and the operating system wanting a reboot to clean things up. Usually you get prompted for a reboot, but maybe something went awry.

For what it's worth, maybe take it as a reminder to backup the things you care about. I recall you being quite familiar with the backing up of data, so I won't ramble about that. :)

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    G'day Tim
    I do a weekly back up to an external drive. Even though the laptop has two hard drives and it's unlikely they would both fail, they're of little use if you can't get into them.
    I don't bother backing up the operating system. Ted says that's easy to replace and it saves a lot of disc/drive space as well.Ted says there's no guarantee just what happened other than an update going wrong and putting a new account in, which I couldn't get into. It would be picked up somehow and corrected. I knew the info was still there. All is well now.
    Thanks for the interest.
    Noel

7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    bloody computers! reminds me I better do some backing up.

diesel, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Ran into the PC guru in a shop yesterday. He says he's had several identical issues and can now tell people that it will be resolved without difficulty if they can wait a day.
    Noel
    No further problems found

diesel and kev209 like this.