1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Bluefin boats

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Garfield28, Jun 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone here either owns one or has any experience with a Bluefin Barracuda of any size by chance? I am looking at possibly buying one as they are great value compared to a Renegade or Outlaw and have a lot of inclusions with the package also. They seem like they are more common in Queensland but if that's where I have to go to get one at a good price then so be it. I cannot find a great deal in any searches I have done on Google or anything except for a few reviews saying the ride isn't that great due to their hull design but they were 2013-15 models so not sure if they've made improvements since then.

Any info for or against much appreciated.

Geoff

blair and creekboy like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    They used to have a good reputation up here in Qld and then a few years ago the company looked like it was going belly up. I'm not really sure what the reason was, but they bounced back again.

You won't get into Qld to look at one for at least another month if not longer.

Jeff

blair, Garfield28 and creekboy like this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    The Bluefin Barracuda looks to have the same hull design as my blue fin rouge so if you want it for river fishing go for it but if you want to use it off shore or a lake that gets a lot of wind be prepared to have the crap beat out of you ......

4. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    The ride that bad is it?

They have a lot of inclusions at a reasonable price... Such a shame there's nowhere close by I could have a look at one or even better go for a test drive.

blair likes this.
  5. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    If you look in this pic you can see they don't have a variable deadrise the hull holds roughly the same degree from the stern to where the bow starts to curve in and up that makes them exceptionally Stable at rest but they will beat the living daylights out of you even in an 18 inch chop at 50 + k's an hour

Screenshot_20200602-201816_Chrome.jpg

6. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for that Tackleberry.

Mate if you had a choice between the Bluefin Barracuda, the Quintrex Renegade and the Stacer Outlaw which one would you put your hard earned on? I had a dealer contact me that I was talking to earlier this year when I was looking at buying a new boat but I dropped off with all of the COVID19 stuff going on. Well I received an email asking if I were still looking as there is a huge sale on at present there. I can get a 488 Stacer Outlaw with a 90 ETEC and offshore wash bay for $32,000. The bluefin have a lot more standard features than the Outlaw and the Renegade but if the ride is that bad maybe I should be looking at the Stacer deal? I'm also a bit up in the air with Evinrude at the moment too because they are stepping away from dealing with Outboards now.

blair likes this.
  7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    In a nutshell none I am a firm believer a boat below 4.4 m aluminium anything above that strictly fiberglass I like my comfort in a bigger boat and I would also steer clear of the etec as they have just gone bankrupt apparently shut up shop for good Honda or Yamaha 4 stroke
    Of course this is just my opinion and everybody has a different one , for my money if it's going to see Blue Water Haines Hunter if it's just going to be a Lake boat take your pick I'm not up on what boat comes with what as in features so can't help there I'm just going on hull performance .
    But looking at the hull entry on the Quintrex millennial or Millenium Hull I think they call it looks like it would handle a good bit of chop I know it's more expensive but from what I've seen they also hold a better resale value if looked after ......

blair and Garfield28 like this.
  8. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Mate I have a glass boat now, and as much as I love the ride and the safety I feel in it when I am offshore it just drives me mad to launch, retrieve and just the weight when towing also, and not to mention the fuel it chews to push such a big heavy boat. The other thing is I really enjoy fishing the bay, lakes and rivers where I live as I am usually with my young bloke, I like the thought of having an electric motor to fish rock walls and shallow parts where my big heavy glass boat won't go. But I'd also like to be able to venture outside the heads when weather permits.

Yeah I must admit I'm a bit scared of the boat with an ETEC on the back and that is why I was so impressed with the price of the bluefin that came with a Mercury 4 Stroke along with a list of features the others charge an arm and a leg for.

Are the Stacer basically the same hull shape and design as the Quintrex? They look pretty darn close to the same to my untrained eye.

blair likes this.
  9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    In the water it's what's below the chines that count the Stacer is a lot different in that department reading what you want to do with the boat either one will do nicely the Quintrex will have a slightly softer ride but as you probably already know it'll be at a fairly higher price.......
    Both the Stacer and the Quintrex will be a lot softer than a Bluefin I love mine because it is so solid but it is a Fairweather boat only I can't afford to change so I just have to live with it ......
    Hope this helps I know it's not a lot of help but there is nothing worse than owning a boat you don't want to get in......

blair and Garfield28 like this.
  10. Garfield28

Garfield28 Active Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Cheers Tackleberry.

So basically mate you would advise the Outlaw or Renegade over the bluefin if I want a decent ride.
    I definitely want to be able to push offshore and fish on days that allow too and the Stacer is a great price at the moment only thing is it has the ETEC which worries me right now

blair likes this.
  11. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Personally and this is what I seen on the Gippsland Lakes and this is a big place witt a lot of boats I wouldn't touch an E-TEC with a barge pole

blair likes this.