1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Braved the heat to catch a cod

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by jedgpz, Jan 1, 2020.

1. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Headed out for a couple of nights on the river with a couple of mates. Man it was hot Monday. ended up being worth it in the end.
    4 guys two boats two days. As you may know I really only use lures - not that I am against bait just tend to have trouble sitting still for too long.
    The place where we fish between Christmas and New Years we have been going to for the past 3 years and have seen the Murray Cod growing each year. 3 years ago we were getting alot of below 50cm cod and each year they have been getting a bit bigger.
    There were some pluses for the trip with that being one of them. I had a friend with me who has just started getting into flicking lures as if he fishes with me then that is the option :) . He picked up 2 nice cod which was a highlight for me especially see that this is the 3rd trip that I have taken him on and he had not got on to a fish up to yesterday. I have warned him that it is a slippery slope as he has just got a 2 new bait caster setups and he was eyeing off some of my lures.
    Total for the couple of days were 15 cod all up with 8 of them between 47 and 55cms 6 of them being legal (between 55 and 75cm), and 1 over the 75cm mark.
    It was a mix as too what they were hitting, but the stand outs were Purple Codgers, either black spinnerbaits or the bright yellow Bassman DT, small light coloured surface lures (pompadours).
    It was a great couple of days despite to heat making it hard to sleep at night.

Cheers Jed

IMG_4715.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

blair, Madfisher, Bluefin and 5 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Beautiful fish, Jed, well done.

Jeff

jedgpz and kev209 like this.
  3. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    Good to see the Cod populations getting healthier and growing bigger!

4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Nice report, thank you.
    Tight lines Pete

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Great effort Jed. Good to see some fish pics up here as a distraction as opposed to the unfortunate threads regarding the fires.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    I'm back!!!!:cool:

diesel, jedgpz and kev209 like this.
  6. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Hey there thanks for that, I did feel abit guilty about posting, but thought I would any way.
    Cheers Jed

diesel, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.