1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Broken Bay Australia Day

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing' started by reelaxation, Jan 28, 2020.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    The Wifey sent me out on Sunday arvo for a fish, so I decided to make an arvo of it and head down the beach and test on the new Angler MT4144 and my old man's 650a Alvey. I also took my never used SnyderGlas MT8144 and 651c5 Alvey in case of a big Taylor/Salmon or Jew.

Turned out to be a cracker - nailed 3 X flounder (biggest went 40cm), 1 X 44cm Flathead and a 1 X Dart which went 38cm. All come in on the MT4144 and strip or worm baits with the Dart coming on the 8144 and a yakka fillet.
    Lost a bunch of Taylor and Salmon which were busting up all the way up and down the beach.

Ran out of bait and left them on the chew... home by 9:00pm so wifey was happy, cat was happy he got fresh flounder for dinner & breakfast yesty morning LOL

The MT4144 is definitely one of the best light weight sticks I have ever used- loaded up with 12lb mono and 15lb leader with a size 5 bean sinker and double size 2 long shank hooks I could cast a country mile past the breakers to where the fish were hanging out.

Will head back there Thursday arvo for another session hopefully get some Taylor on pillies this time.

Tight lines ya'all

Anthony

flounder 26012020.jpg flounder n flattie 26012020.jpg mixed bag 26012020.jpg

Tackleberry, blair, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good stuff, Anthony.

Whadayamean the cat ate the flounder? Don't you eat them?

Jeff

Tackleberry, blair, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  3. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Yeah I eat the flounder, but every time I go fishing the bloody cat complains that I dont bring him anything home to eat- so this time I gave him a treat... even though he has enough fat on him to last a year in antarctica he loves fresh raw fish, and I cannot bring myself to feed him warmed up yakkas or slimeys after a session

blair, Old fisho, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Bugger the cat. Send 'em down here. I'll send you a tin of cat food.
    Noel

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    That's a good catch of large flounder I don't think I have ever caught 3 in one session. Lucky cat! there sort of a random catch for me. Nice to eat.

6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Probably bigger than I've ever caught.
    I only get them as by catch.
    Can still imagine them on a plate.
    Noel

blair, diesel, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  7. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Sorry lads I have been told these are Sole, not flounder... a rookie mistake roflroflrofl
    They will be going on the BBQ tonight or tomorrow, havent eaten flatfish since I was a kid, and I still havent seen Sole this big since I was a kid.

Heading out tomorrow for a beach session, then I have planned to get back into catching my own bait- I have a few spots to try (thanks to some of the local fisho's on facebook) so I hope to be supplying my own bait for all my own adventures aswell as LMFSCC classes in the not too distant future.

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    OK, so I don't know much but to my simple mind they are flounder. As best I know having eaten a fair few; sole have a much more broadly rounded head, not as pointed at the nose as flounder. Of course they were dead and I've never seen a live one to know the markings on them. They don't have any markings after they die. Dusky flathead are the same. For want of making a point, marlin are the same too.
    Showed the image to my boss without saying anything. She knows most of the well known fish and her favourite is flounder. Had one a week or so ago in fact.
    She immediately asked why my 'FLOUNDER' are not as big as yours.
    Noel
    Jealous

blair, diesel and kev209 like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would call them flounder, apparently flounder have a more distinct tail than a sole, I seen a pic of an Australian sole and it is round like a plate no tail. the fish in your pics have rounded looking head though, and I wont let my mrs see those pics I wouldl also be asked why they are a bigger than the occaisional one I bring home.
    The rounded head flounder are quite poisonous Anthony and you can drop them off at my place so I can take care of them if you like. Must be put on ice and disposed of quickly.:)

kev209 likes this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Anthony; if any doubt remains in your mind; google 'Australian sole' and look at 'more images'. the most striking difference is in the fins. The sole and flounder fins are vastly different as well as the head/nose shape. Certain you'll then call them flounder.
    Noel

blair and kev209 like this.
  11. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Yep agree so the Sole doesnt have distinct fins according to Google, whereas the flounder definitely does... But I do note that on the NSW DPI website there is no image of a Sole, but I do confirm that these are definitely flounder.

Im sure they will taste great on the BBQ with some lemon, lime and butter- YUMMO!

blair, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    On the Australian sole photograph you might notice the fins go all the way from head to tail. You'll note too that the fins on yours don't
    Noel
    Still jealous. They're rippers

reelaxation, blair and kev209 like this.