1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Broken creek

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by AJ Fishman, Dec 17, 2017.

1. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Our plans where to fish the murray river but they changed the Barmah National Park was closed because the Murray river was in flood from the rain that week before. We where going to drive to as many places as possible and fish but that never happened so we ended up on the broken creek.
    first mirror carp s.jpg
    This is my first ever mirror carp forgot to pack a bragmat, but when i got home i measured the kayak paddle and he was 70+ cm.
    mirror carp s.jpg
    location change along the broken and got this in the first 5 mins.
    plenty of bait caught in the shrimp nets even got a few small fish and yabbies.
    cod maybe s.jpg
    does anyone know what this is?
    little carp s.jpg
    This one is a small carp.
    mosie fish s.jpg
    this is a mosquito fish they are a introduced pest to Australia.
    cheers AJ

DeeBeeKay, creekboy, diesel and 4 others like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice write up Andrew! Mirror carp as far as I'm concerned win the 'most ugliest freshwater fish' award! Sorry but I can't help with the fish ID. Am looking forward to your reports in the future as you potentially will be the most active report posting member we have!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Going to work today whilst Team AJ is going fishing...how the f$&$ does that work?:mad:

creekboy, diesel, AWL and 2 others like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Good report and picts AJ. I have to agree with Bender they are ugly.

creekboy, diesel and AJ Fishman like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Having a look now at your pics AJ, your 'carp', I wonder if that is actually a Bony bream.
    http://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2061
    A fish that is rarely caught, if at all but forms part of the Murray cod diet! This may give you an idea what color lures to use in the future!
    I wonder what others think?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Awaiting the umpires decision!

creekboy, diesel, AWL and 2 others like this.
  5. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    I had a look at that site and now and think it’s a bony bream as well:)

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  6. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    I reckon bender is onto it,looks to be a bony bream.Haven't seen one for years round these parts,but from memory they do like the clay based type waterways and used to be a bit more prolific up around the swan hill- nyah parts.

Team AWL
    sort of agreeing with team bender:confused:

7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    For future reference AJ, check out the dorsal fin of the Boney bream compared to the dorsal fin of a carp. They are very different. The bream don't have whiskas but then not all carp species do either. Of course the bream can go back into the water. Was it the only one you got?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Do you want Panadol with that?!!!

AWL, creekboy, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  8. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Jim that was the only bream i got as well as an USO (unidentified swimming object) and a few mosquito fish. :)

9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    It's out of my environment, that's my excuse, but I never knew there were various species of carp.

Learn something every day. Noel

Rod Bender, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'll drink to that, but I have been known to drink to anything :D.

I would say definitely a bony bream, our creeks are full of them up here - top bait for freshwater barra.

Jeff :cool:

AWL, Rod Bender, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I'll drink to that

diesel and creekboy like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You too. Perhaps we all should.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I am not sure if I used the correct word 'species'. The word 'strain' may have been a better word to use after some research.
    Anyway, some of us may have caught 'gold fish' (Koi carp I think they may be called officially) out of freshwater which are a strain/species of carp. Sometimes they don't have the gold color but you can tell the apart from the European carp as the gold fish generally don't have whiskas...I think! The Koi carp fanciers are shuddering at the thought of having the carp virus introduced and have been very vocal as they may lose their pets!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Happy to dispense info when not totally certain but kills all carp critters anyway!

creekboy, kev209, AWL and 1 other person like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I used to breed Koi in a pond system a few years ago. I don't remember them as having whiskers either. They are bred to many colours now, some quite magnificent, and are prized as pets in Japan. They are feted during their life(but also fated) and on reaching a certain size, they become the family dinner. Mine used to eat from my hand and seemed to really understand there are different people. Perhaps they are smarter than the dumb ones we can't catch. You could then keep Koi in NSW, but it was illegal in ACT. Noel

creekboy, kev209, AWL and 2 others like this.
  15. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    The top little fish, is a western carp gudgeon. when the rivers where natural the gudgeons bred about the same time as the Cod, aND THE BABY Cod used the baby gudgeons as food.
    Cheers Pete

creekboy, diesel, AJ Fishman and 2 others like this.