1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Burrinjuck Tossers Caught by Fisheries

Discussion in 'The Hall of Shame' started by bwh1, Jul 23, 2009.

1. bwh1

bwh1 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I read an article in the Wagga local paper on Wednesday about 2 blokes that were caught in Burrinjuck dam with approximately 16 set lines. They had 5 cod up to 27kg and a few yella's in possession. The local fisheries officers had video surveillance for two days and caught them in the act. It stated in the article that the fines are up to $25,000 and six months inprisonment. I also heard that these two guys had been caught before so hopefully the judge throws the book at them this time :mad:

Brett

2. Norbs

Norbs New Member

May 27, 2008
    To "27kgs" :shocked::shocked::shocked:

Thats a real heart breaker that one!!

Norbs,

3. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I was having a discussion about this with my old man last night, he was telling me that numbers of fish are really starting to drop along the murray. I said to him something along the lines of, "If fisheries would sit at the bottom of the Weir for a couple of days and check bags then they would clean up" and he just said to me, "that's the scary part, fisheries are chasing the bigger crims".
    I wish they'd make the laws tougher, make it a real deterrent.

4. Got Buckley's

Got Buckley's Queanbeyan NSW

Jul 25, 2008
    piss weak, will be interesting to see what the outcome is. I heard a yarn of two old fellas who fished burrinjuck a few weeks back and landed three over a metre and they kept the lot, set lines were a sure thing according to the bloke who knows them.

There are fresh springers at burrinjuck nearly every trip i do out there. So great to see there was some time and money put in to catch these blokes. If you are that hard up for a feed of fish wouldnt it be easier and cost alot less to simply head down to woolies and buy a few barra fillets ??? what enjoyment could you get from it?

5. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi got buckley's,yeah only 2 true,its sad to see that the two old fellas did not think with the same logic as of which you have stated,instead total greed and selfishness,i hope they hang the b#%@!$#@$, cheers Murph......

6. Native Stalker

Native Stalker Lake Hume Classic

Oct 16, 2007
    poachin pricks

Unfortunately the magistates and the system are piss weak and they will get off lightly:mad:.As for the 2 old poachers you mentioned bucks,3 fish over a metre all kept does the law state per angler 2 in possession only 1 over a metre? that one fish too many dob in the poachin bastards.As far as I am concerned poachers should have a minimum of 2 years jail,all equipment seized including vehicles and sold at auction with proceeds going to restocking. Its time the laws in this country changed, australia's justice system is a joke the crim gets the justice
    cheers Dave:mad:

7. virty

virty New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    What wankers, $25.000 is going to hurt.

8. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    do you guys remove and destroy any set lines that you find?

9. wharf

wharf New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Yes,me and davo find them a lot.It is always amazing to see how heavy the line and hooks are.I think i took a pic of a small casurina tree that had a set line on it so long the tree had grown over the line.It was close to 60pound mono.

10. virty

virty New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Sure do mate f##k em :mad: .

11. Arn09

Arn09 New Member

Jan 30, 2008
    These blokes were from Tumut apparently, I certainly hope they get the maximum penalty. I still can't believe in this day and age that people do this. Don't they have kids,grand kids etc? Especially seeing as it is so close to the breeding season, how many millions of wild fish were just wiped out...

12. Native Stalker

Native Stalker Lake Hume Classic

Oct 16, 2007
    We would all love to remove them but be careful if your caught removing them you will be the one pinched for it,your best bet is to ring the dob in a poacher line and talk to a fisheries officer he will tell you to remove them or they may even have them under watch,best to cover your arse
    If you hook one casting accidently oops then cut the prick
    cheers Dave

13. luckless

luckless New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Fines, loss of equipment etc, etc, just not good enough:skeptical: It should be all of that plus gaol time, plus lifetime fishing ban!!! These pr!cks need to be made an example of & repeat offences should be double the previous penalty!!!

14. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    that is the delimer isnt it dave
    do the right thing and remove them by yourself and maybe called a poacher or get the proper approval
    myself i will now keep the number in my phone and remove all lines with or without approval as i have done before but make sure it is quite clear i am not the one checking them

15. bwh1

bwh1 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I've always wondered how you would go if "caught" cutting set lines or a cross line. I would certainly be asking the fisheries officer have a look through the boat and all he would find was casting rods and lures, and do some sweet talking explaining that I was getting rid of the damn things.

But I have heard exactly what native Stalker was saying, if you are caught handling set lines, look out :unsure:. But as I said above, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to see that all the gear in my boat is legal and for C&R.

Cheers...Brett

16. nedoleboy

nedoleboy New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    dunno what happened to my post.no reply from admin, but those blokes were back on the western side above wade island again on the weekend

17. Timbo

Timbo Member

Nov 4, 2008
    A new tactic i heard of last night was in Gippsland rivers a heap would go down on a bus and 5 or 6 would get dropped off at several locations along the rivers and then walk upstream for a km or so away from all people and start poaching with cast nets and set lines. Fisheries would drive past not see any cars and would keep on driving. They would collect all there fish, size and undersize then get picked up again by the bus and head home. They are getting cunning so keep your eyes open for the PR$#ks and dob em in.:mad:

18. Rusty Can

Rusty Can New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Good to see we are all on the lookout for these "FOOLS" if you come across Set lines/Cross lines mark the spot and report it asap.we pull the hooks clear of the water if we come across them and let fisheries know on our return to camp.RC

19. steve611

steve611 New Member

Feb 3, 2009
    have come home many times with a bucket full of set lines,love finding them and cutting them off.

20. dick

dick New Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Spent a few days on the bidgee on queens d/day last year,talking to some guys in the pub who said they wear catching plenty of cod and yellas(we couldnt catch a thing)asked them how they caught them the reply was 70 springer mate,just short of starting a riot an old bloke came up and said we all do this up here still mate its our river.
    This is why we cant take our families out and have fun and catch a few fish.took down his rego nuber and left a message on fisheries phone,next moring trolling with my mate we were pulled into the bank by two cops on motorbikes looking for the mungrells who left obout half an hour befor.havent heared anything since but at least the sytem works and they have their rego.