1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Carp fishing in drains

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by AJ Fishman, Nov 18, 2017.

1. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    jim told me about some carp in a drain where i work sometimes.
    drain.jpg
    i have to catch them all. I used worms and bred and got them while sight fishing.
    andrew.jpg
    I have got 4 or so and the biggest one would be around 40cm.
    carp in drain s.jpg
    cheers AJ

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    diesel, AWL, reelaxation and 5 others like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    And as we witnessed today...there are still a few customers in there!:mad:
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Northern Region Carp Control Coordinator!

diesel, creekboy, reelaxation and 2 others like this.
  3. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    And they would be staying in there till it dried up if it was me having to catch them:eek:

Team AWL
    Know's prime tiger snake country when he see's it.

4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Actually, this location is where I see the most snakes at work...but browns! Team AJ is fearless! Besides, I am always there in case of trouble...to catch it on video!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Nothing stands in the way of carp eradication!

5. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Doesn't surprise me in the slightest you see the most snakes there bender:)maybe the browns ate the tigers or there just hiding from them.Must be very reassuring for team AJ having you there as his wing man, just waiting to make him a u tube sensation:cool::cool:

Team AWL
    Drain fishing free for over 50 years

kev209, creekboy and AJ Fishman like this.
  6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I noticed plenty of carp activity today as I thundered over the bridge on the high powered John Deere gator (thinking of entering it in the Dakar Rally). But I had other things on my mind apart from carp...and it wasn't work!:cool: AJ was losing bait at times so that told us there was likely yabbies present. I threw a net in this arvo and after 1 1/4 hours...got nuthin'! Moved the net slightly and in a short period picked up these 2 candidates for cod opening.
    yabbie.JPG
    After a short trial they were found guilty of stealing AJ's bait and have been sentenced to cod!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Apparently has an endless supply of bait at work now over the summer.

7. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Good result there bender (getting the gator operational again) either you been feeding them yabbies rice or there superglued to the bucket so they cant get away.

Team AWL
    asking the hard questions

DeeBeeKay, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  8. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Those yabbies would be to big for them carp. I knew there they would have to be in there because i lose my bait all the time form them.:cool:

kev209, DeeBeeKay and Rod Bender like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Meh...a quick tilt of the bucket to remove the glare from the water whilst keeping the bucket at an angle below the point where the yabbies will lose the ability to maintain a grip when the angle rises above the point where they can not maintain friction as we all know gravity is a bitch!

Actually AJ these are specially trained 'attack yabbies' which enter the water and wrestle the carp before dragging the carp back to their trainer...which would be me! Or...they are normal yabbies but the pic makes them look a bit bigger than they are. The body size would be around 5 - 6 cm's and would suit redfin or yellas rather than cod. I have used yabbies this size in the creek and caught carp which wouldn't have been bigger than 30 - 40 cm's.

But you will generally get bigger carp on yabbies and some people go through life and catch very few carp, if any, on yabbies. Then there will be people who wouldn't waste yabbies on carp.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Answering the hard questions and confusing everyone!

AJ Fishman, kev209, AWL and 1 other person like this.
  10. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Just for interest sake, how do you know that 5-6cm yabbies would catch reddies or yella's:D cheers davo

AJ Fishman, kev209 and AWL like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    In a recent survey, 2,678 yellas and reddies, out of a total of 3,000 fish surveyed responded in the positive to having a preference for yabbies of this size! Something about being bite size! And going by my own experience, albeit anecdotal evidence, reddies and yellas do not normally hit yabbies of the body size around 20 - 40 cm's!:cool:

Bring your rod on Saturday AJ! I will distract the yabbies while you concentrate on the carp. Bring a brag mat as well so we can finish off this carp comp.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Showing people here why I work in science world and others don't!

AJ Fishman, AWL, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  12. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Gobbledegook!!!

AJ Fishman, AWL, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  13. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    If said size yabbies are turned into self burleying,by a swift whack between the eyes with a knife handle,they can become more attractive to shy fish.

Team AWL
    nobody likes getting bit by yabbies,even fish

AJ Fishman and DeeBeeKay like this.