1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Catch and Release Mats available to recreational fishers

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by pk1988, Feb 23, 2010.

1. pk1988

pk1988 New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    Hey everyone,

I have been looking for a saltwater size and bag limits sticker in my area with no luck. But maby it want such a bad thing, see article: Fishing World: Stickers get fishos unstuck
    Apparently those stickers are not legal form of measurement.
    But, the NSW DPI has an alternative that is acceptable
    Catch and Release Mats available to recreational fishers | NSW Department of Primary Industries

they are either $11 each ($8 postage) or only $33 for 5 ($12 postage)

Would NSW people be interested in organising a group buy of these things?

Once i have a list of people i can work out how much it would come to roughly each and you would just add on postage to yourselves.

As a side note, does anyone have one of these?

Thanks,
    Peter.

2. dave.c

dave.c Davo

Jan 11, 2009
    Im interested

3. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    Hi Peter
    I've got a couple of different release Mats, one is the usual shimano available from most tackle stores but these shrink and expand in the heat and cool so the measurements are not precise. I also have the old style nsw fisheries soft rulers with the length/weight ratios on the back ( similar to the new ones but not as wide ) again these are not 100% accurate but are a bit better than the brag mats.
    Found this out in a fishing comp where we had two fish miss entry due to being 5mm and 7mm under the limit respectively when the mats were telling us they were legal by at least 10mm!
    I now use a soft ruler calibrated against a good tapemeasure and fixed permanently inside a half pvc pipe so they dont expand/shrink.
    cheers
    Jules

4. Timbo

Timbo Member

Nov 4, 2008
    I have a 1 meter steel rule screwed onto a piece of decking timber so i know this measurement will always be accurate. I also have a mat but when its close i can get the steel rule out

5. pk1988

pk1988 New Member

Feb 15, 2010
    considering i didnt get much in the way of interest and the fact that i found averly makes plastic rulers that essentially do the same thing and there idea of a cm was slightly over the required lengths and they only cost like $6.50 at windybanks bait and tackle i just got one of those there

thanks to those who did reply.

also is there a way to stop future addition to this thread? i dont see it going anywhere from here...

6. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    jules have you got a pic of your ruler