1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

'Course fishing'....

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fishing' started by Rod Bender, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    I had a discussion with 'Course Kev' the other day regarding course fishing. Whilst I have no intentions on going out and purchasing the gear, I am interested in hearing of any course fishing techniques that could be applied to 'everyday' fishing. For instance, Kev told me that berleying is a big part of course fishing. It is a big part of a lot of fishing but it is something that I have never done.

Anyway, I would be interested to know if any course fishos have any tips such as rigs or even which hook patterns work well. Also, what do people use for berley in freshwater.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Looking forward to Kev putting his wisdom down in words!

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    As you said Jim, Berley is the most important part of Coarse fishing or ANY FISHING. Well I believe so. Coarse fishing you have to attract the fish into your part of the swim, you may have quite a few fisho's either side of you trying to do the same thing. My main base for berley was bread crumbs, I would start off with 3 or 4 containers of bread crumbs, then came the ingrediencies I would add, not to all containers, experiment and see what works, maggots, corn, silverfish, cut up worms, strawberry, aniseed, and coconut essence. For Carp I added Turkish coffee, and found it very successful. Some other Fisho's had containers full of there own secret mixes. And some would not discus Berley. As for rigs I mostly used waggler floats. if I needed a bit of weight I used olivest [pardon the spelling] on rare occasions I used feeders. Hook size ranged from 12-16, then there was the corn hook, black bug to mention a couple. Gear I took fishing, 13' 3 piece float rod, 10' keeper net, telescopic coarse fishing landing net, 12' ledger rod, occasionally a 5 meter telescopic pole, 9' screw in quivertip rod, I had tips ranging from 1/2-3oz. I had swing tips, spring tips and bite indicator I think there could have been more, a Shakespeare tackle box with top box. different size bank sticks and rod rests, chair and my berley and bait. I copped quite a bit of criticism about the way I fished and the gear I used. I won a couple of comps so up there nose. I honestly believe I caught more fish coarse fishing and had more fun because I was fishing with my fishing mate our son Michael.
    (edited 1/7/18 827pm added a few more things I carried if I was to sit down and think I would probably add heaps more)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    creekboy, DeeBeeKay and Madfisher like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Sounds a bit too complicated to me. I think I will stick with the good old earth worm on a size4 mustard hook with a running sinker down to the hook. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    That's exactly what I've done Lyall, but I still use berley. I watched a UK video on YouTube not long ago and was surprised at the heavy gear this bloke was using. Granted they were decent size carp but he just seemed to skull drag them to the net.

5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    When Michael and I were coarse fishing I found everyone seems to have a different method, I learnt from books and video's. I must admit I enjoyed it except for the setting and packing up. And I really enjoyed watching Michael land decent size carp using small hooks, light line, and a telescopic pole. In those days he was a very keen angler. A trip down memory lane.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018