1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Craftmaster Merlin lures.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Feb 17, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi loyal servants!:p
    I have seen the Merlin lures in stores and never bothered with them until lately. They come in three different diving depths with the one pictured being the 'deep diver'. There is a shallow diving model and an 'ultra deep' diver! The 'deep diver' apparently dives to around 9 feet.
    Merlin.jpg
    Last year they were reduced to sell at $10 (usually around 15) in a local tackle store so I got a few. They are highly recommended for yellas according to a couple fishing gurus I know. They are fitted with 'W' hooks. The ones I purchased originally sort of got lost in the room that is my fishing room! But recently some of these appeared in the same tackle store for $5 and they are out in the open at home in plain view!

One may think that they are a crap lure that can't be sold but think it is more of a reflection of fishos these days going for the more modern lures. AJ tried them out at the channel yesterday and the action is good. Unfortunately he had to change the lure after a few casts as it kept hitting the bottom.

I am looking forward to trying them out in what is now known (after a discussion yesterday with AJ's brother) as 'my cod channel' which runs about 8 foot deep all the way...yella glory awaits (yeah...I know, it is a cod channel but the odd yella does lurk there)!

I will be happy to have the Merlins sitting alongside my Worden's Flatfish lures in my tacklebox! Has anybody used the Merlins?
    cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, AJ Fishman, AWL and 3 others like this.
  2. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Not yet,;) cheers davo

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  3. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    They look allright bender:cool:If they don't work for you i'd put it down to operator error;)

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I just had a look at the Craftmaster webpage, a good range of colours, but not real flash when it comes to size variation. With only 40mm & 60mm available, they are mainly targeting you southerners chasing smaller natives and trout, but to be expected being made in Tasmania and the distribution network big down south and only one outlet in Qld - none in NT.

It's a shame that they are not making them in 90 or 100mm, they would probably go well on barra & jacks. What weight do the 60mm go?

Jeff :)

5. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Funny thing is I think the lures origins began in NSW! The lure may have started its life as part of the Bennet/McGrath company before things changed and the business was sold.

The weight would not be much more than six grams. I am going to give it a try soon. I cans see this lure being part of my arsenal in the local channels in spring time when I am trying to avoid cod.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Thinking diesel should get on the phone to Craftmaster and demand some 'man size' lures from them!

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've been trying to track down a reliable source of Kuttafurra Lures, in particular the 100 mm Mudhoney - sort of like a Stumpjumper, but a bit more bent if you know what I mean. Barra go nuts over them, especially the colour below.

KFL-MUDHONEY.jpg
    They are not a popular lure up here in the north and once again mainly targeted at all you southerners chasing cod. Most of the online outlets have very limited stock, usually only in the colours that nobody wants.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  7. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Have you tried contacting the guy who makes them? Aaron Young (I was following his page when I was on Facebook) and he is in Melbourne.
    cheers
    Jim

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Yeah, that could be the way, Jim - I will check him out.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  9. westyonline

westyonline death to the mud guzzlers

Nov 24, 2009
    BUY THEM, buy all of them
    they were my "Goto" lure for small to med golden perch, and redfin love them too
    stopped buying them because it got too expensive to replace my favourites
    i usually had a super deep on my baitcaster as the default lure 90% of the time
    if you buy them for $5 each, i will give you $6! and pay postage

10. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I will save you some money and send you a pm with a link to the store as well as some other lures they have. Whilst I do trust you regarding getting the money, I do not trust Aus post! I think the store will help you out. Also, there was only 4 left this morning of which 3 were the ultra deep ones.
    cheers
    Jim