1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Custom Painted Lures

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Elmo23, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Elmo23

Elmo23 New Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Do any of you guys know of anyone who still custom paints lures? I know a lot those who used to do it are no longer in the game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Welcome to the forum, Elmo.

I guess it all depends on what type of lure you are looking for. Some that I have seen on the likes of ebay look fairly ordinary and others that I have seen on different websites are top class jobs, mainly crank-baits and minnows. Try Google and keep on narrowing your search until you find what you are looking for. Like you say, a lot that used to do it dropped out, but I think you may find someone tucked away in a country town near a river who still makes them.

Good luck.

Jeff :cool:

3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Hi Elmo23, welcome to TBX.

creekboy likes this.
  4. Elmo23

Elmo23 New Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Cheers fellas. I was after someone like a Geneo Kustoms who is well known/popular and therefore easy to determine their quality of work. I can't seem to find anyone that has filled the void

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Welcome to TBX Elmo. When you say custom paint lures, do you mean some one who makes them from scratch or someone who will do a paint job on a lure that you provide them?
    Cheers
    Jim

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. Elmo23

Elmo23 New Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Someone who you can send lures to and they paint them for you. Essentially bringing new life to lures that might be pretty beaten up. Like Geneo Kustoms, Pimp My Lure, etc. Sorry if I didn't make that clear

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    If you look through the early posts around 12 months ago?? there was an overseas member of the forum who made lures and individually painted them by hand. If I remember right he posted a couple of videos of his work, you may get a few ideas from them.

creekboy likes this.
  8. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
  9. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I think you were clear enough when you said custom paint lures! Some people like me may not be that smart!:confused:
    I can't help you sorry. But I would consider what Jeff said as in having a go yourself.
    Cheers
    Jim

kev209, AJ Fishman and creekboy like this.
  10. Elmo23

Elmo23 New Member

Jan 5, 2018
    Im not the most artsy person going around. I'd probably rather just get it professionally done. Guess I'll just have to keep looking around. Thanks guys

11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    You could try and chase up someone who does air brushing, there is quite a few kicking around now it's getting a big thing. But it's not cheap. BCF were selling an unpainted soft plastics kit that contains about 40 unpainted sp's from memory and different color pens, I think that's what you would call them, they were on special for about $19. I have seen the finished product and they look great.

creekboy likes this.