1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

DIY Ideas

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Jun 2, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I came across this picture on the net while looking at D.I.Y. ideas. When you think of it there's plenty of smart fisho's out there. How many Fishing D.I.Y ideas have you come up with, and made over the years.

d6fdf777dc7c3f6bb38135767af7ab33.jpg

Old fisho, blair, diesel and 3 others like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Kev.That one is simple and very effective as well. Cheers, Lyall.

3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I used to use pool noodles for the sieve when pumping sandworm .

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    creekboy, Old fisho, blair and 2 others like this.
  4. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I did also Tack but prefer now to not use a sieve and pick them up from the water by hand. I seem to get more whole worms that way. A whole worm on a hook can be made look much more enticing than a heap of bits. Also, I feel they wriggle for much longer, and though I don't eat them personally, I reckon that's more appealing to a fish.
    Noel

5. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Year but I think our worm is a bit different as you only have to put one in your hand and it will wriggle about and brake in to about 4 or 5 pieces.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Sounds exactly the same worms to me Tack but with practice I seem to have learned to manage them better than I once did.
    Perhaps I've finally found one benefit in getting old.
    I seem to get more whole worms when pumping than my friends and if I had to guess; I feel it may be because I no longer use a sieve. I lift them out of the water whole on my hand and a large percentage remain whole all day, where those picked out of a sieve, or even tipped out, suffer far more breakages. I wish I knew if that is correct but a whole worm, still wriggling is to me a far better attraction to a fish, and that perhaps starts with its visibility.

7. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    If you thread them onto the hook head first they are much less likely to fall apart. Cheers, Lyall.

8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Agreed Lyall. I usually start about 10mm behind the head and sort of loop them on from there. The head bit is least likely to fly off during casting too.

9. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Looking at the 2 different types of worm in the lakes here I would say one is sandworm and the other blood worm as one is twice the size and stays in one piece even the tail section you can use as bait and thread on a hook no problem but the other stuff is just mushy like day old sandworm.

10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I don't believe we have different types. The only variable I see Tack is two colour variations. They do not appear different other than their colour. This of course may be a simple environmental thing, perhaps dietary, but probably just like some people having light hair and others darker. Don't know but among the red ones (definitely blood worms) we find an occasional dark brown one. We have no changes in size and a big one is only 100mm long. I've not checked the number of legs for variations. They are still exactly the same bloodworms as we pumped while in Victoria. I never put sand in the bucket with them. It's too hard to get them out without damage. While swimming in water they can be lifted out on a hand without a need to pinch them between fingers. Sometimes they break while putting on hook but certainly not always. Any system that works is a good one.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    The type to which I refer is sandworm. Cheers, Lyall.

Old fisho, diesel and kev209 like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm definitely about bloodworms Lyall

kev209 and creekboy like this.