1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Dont trust a GPS in the bush.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    A GPS is quite good in towns and cities but in he bush I think not. Last night I had a call from our daughter with our son in law and two grand children who came up to attend a wedding in the Benalla gardens. After the ceremony they set the gps to go to Molyullah with no number or street big mistake. Any way they set off following the GPS it goes past the turn off just before Tatong and the gps says turn left just after the Tatong pub which they do. Anyway to cut a long story short they had gone deep into the bush on a four wheel drive track, coming up to a big wash away hump they decided to go back. So turning and going off the track they then got bogged and no way could they get out. So who gets a phone call at 7pm we do of course, well we are off when I had an idea where they were and after no dinner. I stop at Swanpool fill up with petrol in the 4wd which has not been driven more than 500 kms in 6 years. It was last serviced the 3rd of February this year but not driven since. once we get on to the road they turned up Tiger hill road, we wondered how a ford sedan driver would be silly enough to know it was not right with the ruts and rocks etc. we travelled up and down for 20 minutes and turned off down Schulz track which became worse. ten minutes on the track my problems start heading up this steep track I lost power and with a rumble the engine died radiator boiled. So out I hop up bonnet get a rag and unscrewed radiator cap and the pressure blue the cap and it dropped in the well some where. Next problem after waiting to cool down no water, so poor old dogs drinking water was used but not enough so my wife Pat said we could wee in your fishing bucket and use that, great idea after emptying the bucket and using it myself I did the gentleman thing and held the bucket while Pat used it she is eighty next year so didn't want her to knock the bucket over. After putting it some into the hydraulic power steering pot by mistake the rest went in to the radiator.Still not enough but I got a rag that was in the bucket and put in the top of the radiator. Engine started and off we go a few minutes later we saw them. After reaching them and eyeing up the situation I could see no problem pulling them out with a snatch strap which I did, but I was now boiled over again. So what we did then was take the water out of the windscreen washers and let the engine cool down. So now they went ahead to get over another washaway hump scrape grind crunch poor underneath of car. Once over the hump they then waited until we started and could follow we went about a kilometre when engine died again remember no radiator cap, and every time it boiled more water that was left spurted out when fishing rag removed. They stopped to and my daughter walked back and it was decided that they would go ahead and get some water as I was stuffed now and I noticed at this point I had no internet so could not get the footy scores. It is about one am now freezing cold and of course no heating in the car but we all wrapped a bit of the dogs blanket over us and as usual the Dog won it all. After half an hour we were able to start and move on we got about 3 kilometre further on as it was down hill and a great sight as there was a fence line a paddock and with a decent track now. We had only pulled up for a couple of minutes before they came back with water. Having filled up with water we went back to the house where they got the water which was where the Bridegrooms parents lived unknown to them at the time. The grand children were left there for something to eat and warm up. Having filled up again picked up the Grand children we set off. we stopped twice before Tatong on the way home before we had to abandon the 4x4 just after Tatong the engine just kept over revving and became dangerous. so we all got in the ford and just missing a Wombat got home at 3.30 am. Next day rang RACV and being in total care had it towed to Mansfield to my local garage now waiting for damage report.
    Wally

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I really don't know what to say about that, Wally, nor do I know if I should laugh or feel extremely sorry for you.

I think it is one of those situations that one has to experience to know exactly how to react. I know I have had things happen that seemed absolutely disastrous at the time, but others thought it hilarious.

Jeff

3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Most of the DROVERS that hit low bridges in Melbourne these days are using car GPS's instead of truck GPS's.
    The one I hit must have sunk into soft dirt, well that's what I told the boss. He was not a happy Jan. No GPS's in those days but plenty of good Pubs.

A while back I was using my old Navman GPS (in my car) and it told me to turn right is 500 meters, then said perform a u turn at the roundabout. I was out in the middle of nowhere so it was promptly turned off.

4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    What leads to problems with GPS is putting in shortest route, rather then fastest route. Shortest route will take you down every old forest road, or disused roads. Fastest route will keep u on main roads.
    Cheers Pete

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I used a Navman for a couple of years and I lost count of the number of times it directed me to take a track through a cane-field or to take the next turn left which would have put me into a river or straight up a dead-end road. I ended up chucking it in the bin and changed to a Garmin that has been good so far.

Jeff