1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Double braid rope

Discussion in 'Equipment, Accessories and Maintenance' started by Tackleberry, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Gday all i have been toying with the idea of changing all the ropes on my boat to double braid (except the anchor)and because i take it as a matter of pride i splice all my ropes .

so i figure i better get some practice in eye splicing the stuff and all i will say is 3 strand is a walk in the park compared to double braid any way this is my 1st attempt and i think i did ok , i can't wait to get some 10mm as this 6mm is a pain to work with .

cheers TAC
    IMG_3347 (Medium).JPG

kev209, Sprinter and diesel like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    i figured i would show you my 3 strand splice's these are the average ones as the good ones are in the boat
    IMG_3349 (Medium).JPG IMG_3350 (Medium).JPG

kev209, Sprinter and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good work TAC.

I bought some of that 6mm double braid for my kayak anchor rope and thought about trying to splice an eye in each end - gave up after about 10 minutes. I ended up just tying a loose knot, applying a bit of 5 minute Araldite and then slipped some heat shrink over the rope & tag end to cover the mess. It's strong enough, but not as neat a job as yours.

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  4. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    yes it is a PITA to do but a long since departed mate was a perfectionist
    in maters of boating and yachting so a bit rubbed off i suppose i just like
    neat ropes .

come to think of it , i probably do it more in honor of Jeff than for me as he
    was a very good mate and he took the time to teach me so many skills that
    have long since been forgotten .

5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Great job Tac, I haven't seen anyone splice rope for many years. It's great to see someone with those skills, your mate would be very proud.

6. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Nice work TAC!

I used to do a lot of 3 strand splicing when I worked in a Chandlery - yours is very neat and looks great.

We always outsourced the double braid splicing as it was a PITA and not worth our time for the 3-4 jobs a year we'd get.

Not that you need it but we used to whip the end of the splice with this stuff:
    [​IMG]

It's like a silicon tape which helped ensure the splice wouldn't fray, yours are done well so they won't I wouldn't think.

Sam

kev209 likes this.
  7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    well i had a go with 10MM and it heaps easier to do
    IMG_3364 (Medium).JPG

kev209 and skipzx like this.
  8. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    did some 14mm today and went the car method to pull'em up snug turned out good .
    IMG_3374 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3371 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_3372 (Medium).JPG

cheers TAC

diesel, kev209 and skipzx like this.