1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Dundee Beach Anglers Choice 4 night charter. yeeeaa.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by blair, Jun 7, 2019.

1. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi all finally got around to Dundee beach report been busy restoring motocross bike , big job!
    Flew up on 27-5-19 from Sydney picked up from Darwin airport and bused out to dundee b shortly after luckily as beers were $10 each at airport.
    Stopped at bottle on way and had to show i.d, I asked why as I am pretty sure I look well over 18 and she said so we can check if u are on the banned drinker register, not much chance of that for me!
    Got settled in (see pic) and had black jewfish chips and salad for dinner and dicussed whith Emma our host about fishing the next day.
    Next day guide picked us up and took us to finnis river in a 610 topender, we set 10 crab traps and went upriver to a rock bar to chase jewies, we fished whith 50lb braid to 50lb mono leader paternoster whith about 600mm dropper 600mm above 2oz snaper lead in about 2.5 meters of water?
    I threw a vibelicious in madori colour 125mm lure about and got about 20 small 40cm blue salmon, 1 barrra about 40cm and got swipes from queenfish 1 meter plus and the s--t scared out of me when a threadfin had a swipe at lure beside boat and a bloody big bull shark decided to have a swipe at the thready!
    I was trying to hook up some huge fish that were swimming about 10 cm of tailfin sticking up out of the water and trying to eat the salmon , I think large threadfin or queenies , every time I was drawing the lure in front of one a salmon would take lure. Got a few redspot cod and small threadfin and blue salmon on bait I dropped something good on lure. checked traps got about 10 legal muddies then fish further upriver for barra no luck went down and fished rock bar again after jewies on bait (mack tuna) no luck, checked traps again and got about 6 more legal muddies then headed back to base, to a nice dinner again.
    That was day 1 will post more later, need to go and relax, also as suggested by our esteemed author Sir Noel Smart I should break up the report.
    Pics taken whith cheapo 14 meg kodak easyshare C195

Attached Files:

2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    So far so good!!! Looking forward to the rest. The Vibelicious lures...have you used them much? I have one and I think it will go well in freshwater. Not much of a color selection in the local tackle store but.
    Cheers
    Team Jimbo

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Good report, blair. Not a bad looking vessel to fish from. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    1st time I used it , heavy so casts well , sinks fast, good strong hooks could be bigger hooks , fish like it apparently good for jewies.

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    The vessel in pic is 7.5 meter I think Darwin built ocean master, good through chop twin 130 yamahas but wear a spray or rain jacket if the chop is up.
    cheers

6. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    It would be a bit safer with crocs than the average tinnie too. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Lots of crocs in rivers there, means there is plenty of fish about according to guide.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Dundee day 2
    Launched 7.5 meter tinny about 7am (gee its nice sitting in a boat while someone else does the driving and launching) , a bit breezy again so we didn't go out wide and zac our guide for the day took us to a rock island a few k south just offshore form anglers choice lodge, tried for jewies whith same rig in about same depth, the hooks we were using were a 5 or 6/0 sort of circle hook point bent in about 90 degrees I think mustards. Got a call from other guide Dave(head guide, legend) that the queenies(meter plus) were on to the south, so we motored over and soon saw the large slashes we were given 30g micro jigs I tied one on my MH Zodious whith 40lb braid 40lb leader and curado 200hg we cast to the queenies and myself and Andrew both hooked up about 1.2 meter queenies! ripped of plenty of line for a few runs and I pulled the hooks at the boat as I leaning fairly hard on it so I could get it in quick so the others could go and hook some, Andrew landed his, sorry no pics too busy chasing fish. We chased the queenies for a while hooked and lost a few then they went quiet so we went further south and did some reef bashing same rig and bait simon got a couple of red spot cod (everywhere we went simon caught red spot cod?) not much else moved further out simon got a red spot cod I hooked up something that went hard I was thinking black jew nearly ran me around motors bloody big silver catfish I then caught another 2 catfish no one caught much else. We then motored to Channel point to catch the turn of tide and try for black jewies, anchored up and while he was doing something and left rod unatended in near vertical rod holder simons(beginner fisherman) rod went off bent over about 180 degrees whith drag screaming after a short while the hooked pulled, this happened about 3 times to simon at that spot he was the only one to get hits I suspect 1 or 2 were sharks as 2 hooks were bitten off.
    When the tide picked up we headed out and north to do some reef bashing simon got a couple of you guessed it red spot cod and we got a couple of nanguys then headed back.
    Had Spanish mackeral pieces before dinner yummy and black jew for dinner.
    May be able to get queenie pic later off other guys.
    Day 3 same start whith Dave as guide, I commented I love this sitting in the boat while some one else does the launching and Dave laughed and exclaimed"you and me both!" he must do a lot of launching whith his job.
    Went to queenie spot nothing doing so went reef bashing on 1st spot simon got a couple of rsc,s and we got a few nanys then moved, simon got a rsc and we got not much else so we moved a long way out and Dave instructed when u hook a fish wind in quick there sharks here they get attracted to the sound of the electric motor, the motor was self deploying whith gps lock , very handy bit of kit no using anchors for entire trip. Any way simon landed a rsc then a coral trout and I got a nice sweetlip we all got a few nanys and sweetlip then simon hooked a good fish which was pulling drag then abruptly stopped and changed direction and power bloody shark was soon bitten off this happened to simon about 3 times, we tried another reef on way back Anthony landed a nice golden trevally simon got a rsc and then got sharked.
    We set course for ramp watching out for mack and longtail tuna and soon spotted some m tuna it was very choppy and windy and we had 2 inexperienced and 2 experienced fishos on board lures flew everywhere and line crossed over we landed 2 solid m tuna. Next school was moving fast and split up in different directions all round us and we all stuffed up our casts whith cross overs, line around ariel and line around someone rod the guide pissed himself and said he has never seen 4 blokes stuff up there casts so badly, m tuna escaped.
    Ended up whith 7 m tuna good bait, curado200hg performed well in difficult conditions casting whith and against wind whithout adjustments probably better than curado k it was easy to do 50 meter casts over and underhand the guides were intrigued whith my set up the 200hg was supposed to be my backup reel but I used because it had 40lb on it and k had 20lb on it.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Accidently posted previous post heres the rest of that one. notice sunburnt git whith m tuna and salt covered sunnies from spray, at least I had spray jacket on! couldn't see lure in flight usually. day 4 later. mack tuna.JPG
    cheers

10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Day 4 Dundee
    Launched about 7am wind was up a bit more so we headed for little finnis river trolled for barra seen 2 good barra attacking bait while setting up rods, no hook-ups so headed to big finnis river rock bar to chase jewies , simon caught a r.s.c and someone got a catfish not much else, headed upriver to chase barra used white about 75mm long jerk shads on spin reels carefully weighted whith 2 ball sinkers on loop knot by Dave the guide and a 95mm zerek fishtrap on my baitcaster green whith red tail and black vertical bars which had a nice sink rate on 40lb leader and braid. We bounced these on a rock bar for a while no luck so headed further up to a fishy looking junction got a couple of taps no luck. Headed downstream to another rock bar and bounced the lures off that Dave showed a big barra image right next to boat on the massive state of the art Lowrance side scan u can even tell how big the fish are. Soon after Andrew got a nice threadfin and a Simon and Anthony got a couple of nice threadys and salmon I got a snag which dave expertly pinged it off and I started my retrieve and immediately got snagged again was just about to tell guide I am snagged again but It moved so I struck and off went a good fish pulling line easily after slugging it out for a while the fish tired and we were all looking eagerly into the murky water and dave exclaimed "its a barra!" so I got exited cause I was thinking s--t if the guide is exited it must be a good fish, I was drawing the barra toward net obviously "beaten" and I announced "I have done it!"(meaning I have caught a good barra) and it promptly ducked under the net it ducked the net about 3 times and then it went in. 73 cm solid fish see pic. A couple more threadfin and salmon came in and I think simon got a r.s.c and I thought I would work the lure in close to the left side of boat as there were 3 casting out the right side my rod slammed into the bowsprit whithout warning ripping line off towards middle of river so I pushed rod in as far as I could and freespooled to prevent tip breaking off not surprisingly fish got off suspect big barra lucky I didn't break rod. headed downstream to catch high tide and try for b jew on bait I missed suspected jew take , Anthony pulled up about 10 mudcrabs, simon got a take a guess and Andrew hooked something goo Dundee barra part tail.JPG dundee jewie.JPG d obviously a b jew, chased it whith electric and landed a 116cm b jew Andrews pb fish ever Id say. Other boat picked up 2 b jew. We headed back.
    Good guides worked hard to get us fish 3k for 4 nights good value.
    Cheers

11. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Looks like you all had a ripper trip. A great overall result. Cheers, lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  12. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Some of the best...if not the best fish pics posted on here of late!
    Cheers
    Jim

13. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016

creekboy likes this.
  14. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    X3. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good report, Blair and top pics.

Now that you've had a taste of Top End fishing I reckon there's a better than even chance that you'll be back and more than likely for a longer stay.

Jeff

16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    In reckon u are right diesel and I hope to cu there as well I would like to drag my tinnie up there and stay a few weeks in that great big roomy van park whith a nice big boat ramp and lots of parking and fuel whith a pub handy what a good classic aussie setup. Maybe about this time next year. We can go and give that inlet u mentioned a hit I mentioned it to guide when we were planning day he wasn't keen on it. I am sure u know lots of rivers creek etc up there.
    Tight lines

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    My preference for the past decade is the Roper River, especially the mouth and the waters of the western side of the Gulf, not as touristy as the Darwin area, very basic fishing camps and some of the best action you would find anywhere.

Jeff

18. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Finally got to read the last of the story. Great trip; great pics. Well done. Noel

19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have heard the gulf fishes well, off the track a bit = better fishing so might have to give it a hit next year or sooner if I get a break from work or I may have to create a "break" myself . heh heh.

20. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Only went to the gulf once. Stayed at Karumba. What a God forsaken lot of people we found ourselves in. On arrival two old Victorian girls stormed over to find out how long we'd be on that site. Their friends were due in six weeks and always used that particular site. I suggested they discuss it with management. The caravanning Victorians owe the rest of the state an apology. Their reputation up the top end is the pits and the further north we went, the worse it got. The tackle shop guy who happily took my $200 for lures and stuff simply turned his back and walked away, refusing to even speak when I asked where should I start as we only had a car topper boat. The local fisheries officer was the worst I have ever met. He gave us a thorough check over on the boat ramp. Note that. We were not even on the water. He asked if I had a boat licence. I simply said yes, of course. He 'demanded' to see it. I eventually showed it to eliminate further angst but he was only assuming it was my boat. Of course it was but it was on the trailer. I asked him if he stopped people in the supermarket to check if they had boat licences. On a trailer, I didn't need a boat licence. I could have been towing it for someone else. It could have belonged to Boss. Then I left Boss's new camera hanging on a tree near the ramp. It was worth enough to lodge an insurance claim and of course I would need a police report number to lodge such a claim. The copper refused to issue one as he said it wasn't worth the paper work he had to do. He also said 'If it had been taken from there it was a bloody tourist that did it. We don't have crime here'. When we returned home the insurance claims people said to ring Cairns police station; that being the controller for Karumba. The lady their arranged a written apology, provided a claim report number and said the Karumba guy had put his job on the line for dereliction of duty. We haven't and would never go back. The town was fine; the people beyond belief.
    The Victorians all had at least one, some had two freezers and they stayed for months until they were filled. We were there for two weeks and not one decent fish was seen. Nobody had caught a barra for two weeks before we arrived. Fishing was as tough as it could get. We took a trip on a charter to try and get some info. We spent most of the time pulling his crab pots twenty kms up the coast and did stuff all fishing. It was great for him to have passengers paying the fuel bill for the day. No, he didn't give us a crab either. There endeth the Karumba saga. Noel