1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Edge rods.

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, May 19, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi Peoples
    The local CA store received its first delivery of 'Edge' rods about 3 weeks ago. These rods are made in the US and from what I can tell, Gary Loomis is at the helm. Of course you pay the price! The local store has only baitcast rods in stock at the moment. Two different models of which the most expensive rod was above $700! Are they worth it? This would be debated and everyone will have their own opinion but they feel fantastic. They have different style grips as well, as in the material used. Some/all of their baitcasters do not have a grip above the reel seat as well.
    I thought they would sell slowly due to the price but they have sold at least 2 or 3. An order has been put in for more of which some have already been pre-sold. Including someone who has pruchased one and used it and was so impressed he ordered another one. Next he will likely buy the company! I am not sure if they have been around for a while but at this point stocks in the country may be low and not all models are available. I guess that may change. http://www.fish-tecsolutions.com/Edge-Black-Widow.html
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Diesel...you know you want one...or 3 or 4!!!!

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hmm, nice looking rods Jim, but at that price I would sooner put a few more shekels towards the Megabass that I was drooling over a while back. The bride flies out to Germany on Tuesday and that's when I will probably go crazy with buying some new gear especially when I'm down in Newcastle next week.

I've been trying to get hold of a small baitcaster reel in the 50 to 100 size that I can match up to a 3-5kg Shimano Cranx rod and I'm thinking a Shimano Stile or Engetsu. Ideally, I would like an Alderbaran, but there's nothing available here in Oz. I seem to recall that you bought one a while ago, are they worth the money?

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I did buy an Aldebaran a while ago Jeff. As part of a big spend up to replace all my gear with the idea of waiting until I got everything before I started using it. Well it took a while but I just started using the new gear in the last couple weeks then I have used the heavier stuff.

The Alderbaran, as well as a Stile SS that I have, have not had a run yet. But my experience with spooling the Alderbaran and having a bit of a play with it a couple weeks ago has given me an opinion on it.

When you have the drag off on a baitcaster, you can turn the handle and if you put any pressure on the spool it won't turn and that is normal. With my baran, turn the handle with no drag the spool doesn't even rotate! And it won't rotate until the drag is turned perhaps 1/3 of the way up. I checked out other baran's in store and they were all similar. I asked a guy in store to check mine out. He said there was a bit of play in the drag but the drag does still do its job when set correctly.

The dial that adjusts the 'brakes' is very stubborn when you want to adjust it. You have to dig your fingernail into it to get a good grip. Initially I thought it wouldn't budge until I put up a thread on a UK forum as I knew someone had used one. The guy was very helpful and pointed out that issues I had were common on most finesse baitcast reels.

So, hopefully soon I will be able to give you some feedback on both reels. I have no doubt the baran will handle fishing OK despite its issues. But on saying that, at this point I may say steer clear of it! Although if you are certain you want a small baitcast around the '50' size, you may not get any better....or go with a slightly larger reel.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks for the feedback Jim. I thought the finesse baitcast reels would be a bit finnicky to use and it's the reason that I have steered clear of them and opted to use light spin gear instead for flicking lures in the 5g to 7g range. I had a chance to buy a Chronarch 50E a couple of years back and for some strange reason I decided against it at the time - they were regarded as one of the best small b/c reels on the market, but no longer available anywhere in the known universe.

I'll have a look at the Stile & Engetsu and go with a gut feeling after having them in my hand.

Jeff

5. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi all, as far as I know all baitcastor spools wont turn whith drag backed off. As u know I am impressed whith my zodias shimano rods which u can get for about $250.00 they have one above that I haven't tried I just got a medium heavy 7'5" they are light, accurate, give good feel and make hooksets quicker as well as cast a long way it will be getting a lot of use next week I hope.
    cheers

6. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Blair, most of my baitcasters will turn the spool when the drag is backed off but as soon as pressure is applied, the spool will stop.

Another delivery of the rods arrived this week. At least 3 have been sold already. I know a few of the guys who have bought them...they would be best described as 'hard core'! The few cod pics I have seen over the last 3 weeks have been sensational. Although the fish have been caught on other gear.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Edge rods sales rep.

creekboy, blair, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  7. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Hi R.B I checked my curado 200hg and curado 200k whith drags backed right off and they turn unless pressure is applied to spool , I stand corrected.
    They just done a lot of turning for 4 days at Dundee beach , sometimes in opposite direction whith heavy drag applied, just how I like it!

Team goat
    Zodias rods sales rep.

8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The store received another delivery of the rods last week. Three have been sold this week! This video goes for about 15 minutes if anybody want to check it out, It is interesting and is worth watching...some general rod info in there! It also mentions how the handles of the baitcasters (not sure if all models) are offset so the reel sits lower and is therefore more comfortable to use.

cheers
    Team Bender

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  9. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    One guy I know picked up a new Edge rod last Friday and then tried it out Saturday. Within 20 minutes he landed a 96 + cm cod then a 1.1 m cod! Of course most rods would do the trick but the Edge rods have what it takes.

I will not be buying an edge rod...yet!:cool: But when I start fly fishing....:)! So I have to ask, what is the most expensive, unnecessary fly reel I can purchase?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Will have the 'edge' over Team Diesel's pistol grip Megabass!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    creekboy, blair, diesel and 1 other person like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    S--t! I better get one of those rods then I will instantly catch big cod! I wish it was that easy but that would take out the adventure.

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I think we all know that it won't make much difference how much you spend on gear...unless of course you skimp on important stuff like line. I am a good example of spending much $$$$$$ and not doing that well!:cool: Yet to use a lot of it!

On another note, the store which stocks the rods now has Shimano Calcutta Conquests...approx. $850! Glad I got mine a while ago...but it was only slightly cheaper. Made me feel good when I bought it tho!:) Anyway, I tried the smallest Conquest on one of the rods yesterday. Wasn't matched perfectly but still felt rather good. I might be in deep sh!t if an Edge rod comes in that matches my '300' Conquest.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Talkin' sh!t now cos there is no fkn way I can afford anything expensive soon!

12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    i reckon it usually does make a difference , u get what u pay for , usually, my zodias rods are awesome and my sage one fly rod the same , long or short accurate casts when needed. would like to have a go of those rods RB if they perform as well as their price they would be very good not going to rush out and buy any unless I win lotto!

Rod Bender, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  13. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Yeah...I do agree with you. Scary thing is the combo I had in my hand yesterday would exceed $1500! A couple reasons why I said what I said...I have fished before with people using cheap gear opposed to me using more expensive gear. They have out fished me!

Me thinks too that the angler needs the experience and no amount of expensive gear will help some. Last but not least, there is always a chance of being outfished by a 10 year old using Kmart gear by shear luck!:cool:
    Cheers
    Jim

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Yes beginers luck certainly comes into it, on my Dundee trip the 2 best fish were caught by the 3rd most experienced out of 4 blokes. I think it is good to start on low quality gear and appreciate the better gear as u go, and can afford it

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    In other breaking financial news...one of the staff members from the local tackle store is bringing in his 8 foot Edge swimbait rod for me to check out tomorrow!!!!!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Facing financial ruin!