1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Epirbs

Discussion in 'Electronics & Gizmos' started by chicka, Jan 18, 2008.

1. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi All
    While where on the safety conscious topic heres another link on Epirbs and there benefits.
    www.amsa.gov.au/
    Chicka

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. fisherman347

fisherman347 Active Member

Sep 4, 2006
    Yes Chicka,emergency positioning radio beacons,i agree,there a must with every small craft that does not have the benefit of two,way or marine,sailor radio., may i add you have raised a good point,Cheer's Greg

3. 1970bluey

1970bluey New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    I just got my boat licence in Townsville QLD, and was told to get a digital one by 2009. Now I have to find one as they are strict up here and have $150 on the spot fines for anything and everything. You even have to radio in constantly telling them where you are going and how long you'll be there. I understand the safety factor, but I don't want them to know my best fishing/crabbing spots. But is the Epirbs have to be digital Australia wide next year.

4. fisherman347

Sep 4, 2006
    Hi, Bluey, i understand were your coming from,we can't stop technology unfortunatly,in a way it's just another way the goverment bleed's money out of your pocket,i also bet ya get jack **** for the old epirb,because in time like alot of other thing's in this (to fast world of our's for our own good,)thing's become obselete,which is too convienient for the hierarkey out there,eg, how many of us out there own a video,record player,or to put it into nautical term's, how many of us that own there own sea going vessel use a radar, or for that matter, a sat navagater,,,lol,no it's Gps, in 3-7 years they will be extinct aswell,however Bluey i would not be to concearned about ya fishing spot,because not only will you be (giving your secret spot away),,,so will everybody else as well.regards Murph

5. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Bluey
    If you go into the AMSA site,then click on search and rescue at the top,then click on which type of beacon on the right.This will explain the benefits of updating to the 406.
    The old ones picked up the signal by aircraft and relayed it on.The new Gpirb is picked up by sattelite and is accurate to 100metres giving a much quicker response time.
    Good luck
    Chicka
    Ps Did you look into the Garmin Map.dig and if so what do you think?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  6. 1970bluey

1970bluey New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Saved that site, thanks. I've seen the same versions of GPS cheaper around, but the EPIRBS were cheap

7. fiik

fiik New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I sure hope these new epirbs are not better than the old ones like digital phones were better than analogue then cdma was better than digital and now nextg is better than all of them. If they get much better I'm going back to smoke signals. Fiik.

8. fisherman347

Sep 4, 2006
    LOL, ha ha ha ha,yes well Fiik i can not only see your point,i can actually relate to it.
    In any case we will alway's have difference of opinion.
    I just think with the way technology is moving we could get to smart for our own good.
    I hope i'm wrong, but it could blow up in our face.
    Bring on the smoke signal's,lol,,,Murph.

9. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    You are a Classic Fiik!Maybe we should go back to mirrors but then what about at night?Lantern maybe?
    Chicka

10. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Bluey
    Check out www.bcf.com.au an online store The GME Dig Epirb 406 for $429
    Cheers Chicka

Last edited: May 27, 2008