1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Favourite Lures

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by jedgpz, Aug 22, 2019.

1. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Up to about 6 years ago i was a baito but met a fishing friend who fishes mainly lures and now I am 98% lure fishing for Aussie Natives. I still bait fish salt when I get to go but fresh water I fish mostly lures.
    What are your favourite lures. Always looking for recommendations.

Here are my top 4 go to lures for cod.

#1 Bassman DT is Bright Orange

upload_2019-8-22_12-10-39.png

Red and Black Coddog Surface Lure.

Any of these Swagman Jumbuck hard Bodies (the pink and blackone is a custom colour I asked for)
    upload_2019-8-22_12-18-41.png

Number One Stumpjumber in Frog colour.
    [​IMG]

Let me know your Favs
    Cheers
    Jed

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Up here in the north most of our species will hit just about anything, but I still have some favourite 'go-to' lures.

IMG_2738.jpg
    Top left - 95mm Bassday Sugapen….unbeatable for whiting on the flats.

Top right - 75mm Charlie Brewer Slider on 1/16oz jighead and #2 TT jig spinner....sooty grunter, jungle perch & yellas.

Btm left - Silver Killalure Flatz Rat 2....jacks, barra & coral trout that are a bit skittish and stay down deeper.

Btm right - Gold/black Halco Roosta popper....jacks, barra & coral trout with a bad attitude.

I guess there are heaps more that produce fish (Classics, B52's, Bombers, various soft vibes), but those four would have to be the top of the heap.

Jeff

kev209, Rod Bender and jedgpz like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    For trout I rely a lot on Rapala minnow lures. Especially this color...'Bleak'.
    f09alb.jpg
    I like the Husky Jerk model as well but you rarely see it in tackle stores nowadays. The jointed Rapalas also work well and of course all of the Rapalas I use will work on redfin. For my other favorites, I am going to take a different slant and pic some new ones I have started to use. So far without luck but at the time of use, nothing was working!

First off, the old trusty spinnerbaits which I have used a lot but now trying a different aspect...a wet fly trailing behind on a short leader. Have tried this in the open channels where there are not too many snags. No luck yet but it looks good!
    SB_F 50.jpg
    Custom Crafted 'Fish Stik', an Aussie made lure has a great strong action.
    CC Fish Stik 50.jpg
    Similar to an Oargee I guess but made of timber. Last but not least...a brand called Mattlures. Made in the USA. This one is the 6 inch 'Tournament' model.
    Mattlure Tournament 50.jpg
    This one I have a lot of faith in.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Has a PhD in lurology!

kev209 and jedgpz like this.
  4. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    That looks amazing.
    hmmmm got me thinking...
    Cheers
    Jed

kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I have trays of lures these day but have my favourites.
    I have been to a tackle shop once and not brought a lure. ha
    Cheers
    Jed

kev209 and diesel like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I can relate to that Jed, but in recent times I have resisted the temptation. I still buy some online, generally those that are not stocked in most tackle shops and it restricts me to only buying lures that I know are proven fish magnets, not the impulse purchase blingy type stuff that might look good, but are designed to catch the fisherman and not so much the fish.

I often wonder if we go full circle in our fishing styles and tactics. As a kid, I only ever used bait and never used lures until I started chasing pelagics and they were limited to mainly metal spoons. I've tried all sorts of weird & wonderful lures over the past few decades, caught a lot of fish and missed heaps as well and I think if I had kept a documented record of those that I caught on lures and those that I caught on bait, I would be miles ahead on bait. I've been thinking seriously of going back to mainly bait fishing for both fresh and salt, still chuck the occasional soft plastic and surface lure, but get rid of a lot of the lures that I cart with me and rarely use. I've got lures that I bought during the past 10 years and never used, blades, vibes, lipless cranks, practically every size and colour of Classic hardbodies and enough soft plastics to last the next 100 years. Comes a time when a bloke has to step back and say WTF have I got all this for? A bait trap and a cast net does the job.

Jeff

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.