1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fibreglass/Gelcoat maintenance

Discussion in 'Equipment, Accessories and Maintenance' started by reelaxation, Aug 26, 2016.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Hi Guys,

I have recently discovered some fading on my fibreglass and gelcoat so decided to buy some cheap wax/polish stuff from SuperCheap made by CSA which I tried on the glass and it did come up much brighter but wasn't perfect- I may need to use it several times before it is fully restored. I also note I used the same stuff on my Land Cruiser and it come up looking smick but again I still have some faded paintwork which needs to be done a few more times to restore.

Afterwards I bought some Septone Wax/polish as it was recommended by my mate who works in the auto industry he said its a good product and also recommended 3M marine fibreglass restorer and another product he uses in the shop when detailing cars but its kind of hard to get a hold of... Cannot remember the name of it for the life of me but I haven't found any on the web or through any auto shops which specialize in detailing products.

So, with that in mind, I am curious as to what washes and wax products people use to restore their fibreglass or gelcoat???

kev209 likes this.
  2. Wunderlust

Wunderlust Active Member Admin

Jul 9, 2007
    I have used the fibreglass stuff from Repco.. wasn't cheap but has done the trick after repairing some of the scratches in the gel coat. It also did a good job of removing some of the rust stains on the cuddy cabin from the dodgy gutter.

kev209 likes this.
  3. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    If your handy with a spray gun you could always just blow a fresh coat of paint over it

kev209 likes this.
  4. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Active Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Just a trick with fibre glass boats. Wash them down with CT18 Superwash. Then buff them. If you want to respray your boat paint it with two pac paint in an oven. One lesson I learnt I resprayed an old Haines before I sold it. Do you think I could sell it. Haines buyers are very picky. The leading question was why did you paint it ? I have never painted a boat since.

Sprinter, reelaxation and kev209 like this.
  5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I use the paint doctor from Super Cheap on everything even on the stainless oven door. The bloke at Super Cheap is a car detailer and highly recommended it.

Sprinter and reelaxation like this.