1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

fishing Redfin Lake Burley Griffin

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kicknmate, Jan 30, 2019.

1. kicknmate

kicknmate New Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Live near Canberra would like to target Redfin. Any advice. Where, When and how ?

kev209 likes this.
  2. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Only caught one small redfin in the bidgee while spinning for trout many moons ago. I have heard they are keen on jigged lures from a boat, spun from shore and also worms cast out on a float or let sink, would make a good livebait for cod in burley griffen
    cheers

kev209, Rod Bender and diesel like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I can't comment for your local area but I will say if you follow NSW regs there, do not use live or dead redfin for bait as it is illegal. In NSW waters it may be illegal to return live redfin to the water but you need to check this.

I do not have a boat myself but Blair is on the money with jigging for them. Smaller lures cast and retrieved work well. Spinners, hardbodies and the like. I have used Rapala minnow lures with success but on saying that, there are cheaper alternatives. One of the most popular lures would have to be soft plastics...anything around 5 cms or more will do.

As for bait, worms, yabbies or freshwater shrimp will do. Hook size will depend on bait but a hook up to 2/0 size will handle the smaller size yabbie you may use on the reddies.

If you have time google 'YouTube robbie fishing redfin' and check out Robbie Alexandra's videos. Hope this helps and good luck.
    Cheers
    Jim

kev209 likes this.
  4. kicknmate

kicknmate New Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Thanks Fellas, waiting for a bit of cooler weather. Early morning late evening the go. Mick

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Hey Mick, welcome to the forum.

I had some good success on catching redfin at Wang Dam near Lithgow a couple of years ago using yellow soft plastic curley tail wrigglers on a 1/8th jighead hooked up to a jig spinner - they went nuts over it. I tried a few other colours with limited success, motor-oil worked but yellow seemed to be the best in relatively clean water.

IMG_2719.JPG

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  6. kicknmate

kicknmate New Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Every bit of advice helps
    . Mick

kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Googong dam is supposed to be really good. They also love lures that look like small redfin, so anything with a bit of red on it.
    Cheers Pete

kev209 likes this.
  8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Apparently a small redfin whith hook attached will catch large redfin.

tight lines

kev209 likes this.
  9. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    But sadly now illegal in NSW mate.
    cheers pete

kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  10. Manny

Manny New Member

Feb 2, 2019
    Hey kicknmate,
    I fish it fairly regularly. I usually kayak the banks using a spinner or deep diver/rapala. It's not uncommon to get 8-10 (usually smallish) over an hour or 2. I reckon you could walknthe banks and get a good few. Just try different lures to see what's working at the time.

kev209, Madfisher and Rod Bender like this.