1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fishing that today i can only dream of.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Dec 24, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Often think about the fifties at Barwon Heads Pats parents had a Holiday House in Thorne St, actually better described as a fisherman's cottage. we used to stay regularly in summer.
    You Could decide whether you wanted to go down the back beach and get Abolonie or walk the Rocks and get Crays out of the Rock pools.Or go to the lower Barwon and get all the Whiting you wanted in mins, all you had to do is put your bait on cast out start winding in and bang you were on. You could net below the bridge at the mouth of the River and get a few of everything .or maybe go up the wash and get Flatties Bream tons of young Salmon, Salmon Trout etc.
    Mulloway in the Mulloway hole. they used to swim around under the lights from the Bridge at night.
    I used to try to get them to take a bait no way ever, moonlit nights were the best.
    One thing I did was to throw the Toad fish I caught into the road for the cars to run over and pop them and if a couple of mates were down we would play soccer with them , try that now and we would get run over ourselves. Not proud of it now but when you were young it seemed ok.
    Wally

blair, kev209 and Tackleberry like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I guess most have done some things they regret Wal.
    Other than that, what you say rings bells for all of us.
    Nothing is as it was. We used to fish Portland wharfs at night a long time ago and caught many different fish.
    Thirteen species in one night, including a crayfish, remains in my memory.
    While travelling through that area a couple of years ago, locals told me they were lucky to catch anything now.
    The days of Eucumbene's glory are gone too as are most small stream fisheries.
    Frankly I think we've stuffed much of the planet and much is not repairable.
    Noel
    Bring back those days

blair likes this.
  3. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Yep and one of the things that has ruined the fish stocks in salt water is quotas .
    It's an absaloot disgrace......

blair, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I may be out of line saying what is starting to pi$$ me off. I believe fisheries are doing a bloody good job with there stocking and catching some of the idiots who are breaking the law. BUT There doesn't seem to be much being done for people with a disability. I know some suburban lakes get stocked which is great but access to some of these areas is pretty bloody poor for those in wheelchairs. Fishing platforms have been built, and more are on the way. A couple of platforms I have seen, in my opinion are useless to fisho's in wheelchairs or heart conditions. I have a bit of a health problem which makes it hard accessing some waterways to wet a line. I would love to see our Premier Daniel Andrews (the fishos friend???) do some clearing along a few waterways so people with a disability have easier access, and a few more Disable parking signs erected. He may be surprised how many brownie points he would get. I have sent a couple of Emails to different departments but never even got a reply.

blair, Master Baiter and Old fisho like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    With the BS of lines I use, several of the fishing platforms I've seen, including one in nearby Moruya, are a couple of meters above the water and the only possible way to land a fish is to winch it up to the platform.
    A poor design element I've thought and not for those who like the challenge of sport fishing. They seem to me to also restrict the fishing methods available too. If you disagree, please feel free to bring me up to date.
    Noel
    Lucky to not need them yet.

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Kev, maybe you need to target somebody in the local area to get some action. Talk to tackle shops etc and suggest that they help in petitioning council or local state govt members. It would benefit local businesses to see an increase in rec fishing in their area, whereas the decision making bureaucrats probably don't even take the time to read your emails. A bit of pressure from the business community often works well.

Jeff

blair, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  7. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Don't count on any help from anyone in our area. On the Lake shore line of Nillhacootie there is about 2 kms along side of the Highway that the district wanted opened up for public use owned by the Goulburn water board. after a few years of humming and arring something at last was done. About 12 mths ago The CRA put in a dual Highway just over a klm long on a long stretch of straight road along side of the 2kms which is totally useless and money wasting.
    The verdict to dangerous for vehicle's to leave and to join Highway on a dual road.

8. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    It's great seeing fishing platforms being built, but this one needs some alterations IMO. There is no way I could climb those stairs without getting short of breath, tightness in my chest and what ever else happens. There are plenty of fisho's out there that would also have problems especially if they are confined to a wheel chair. I just think it's about time the authority who designs and erects these platforms considered the disabled. I gota admit it looks good.
    LQEZ1562.JPG RPYN8343.JPG

Old fisho, blair and diesel like this.
  9. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    looks good kev, I feel like going there and fishing off it, there should be some good fish under it. We know where to vote, the shooters fishers party seems to be going good the more us outdoor types get shat on the more votes they get. All we need now is a "no more dogooder boofheads spoiling peoples fun" party;)

Old fisho, kev209 and diesel like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It needs a Hi-ab crane on the top deck with a bosun's chair to lower the disabled down to the platform or one of those motorised seat gizmos that run up and down stairways.

There you go, it took a Queenslander to fix the problem :D.

Jeff

11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    All we need is someone that listen's. I try not to get involved in politics, to me all politicians are D##k Heads. Old age and health problems come to everyone.
    I read an article about a veteran who has a disability and loves his fishing but he is limited where he can fish.
    I saw a young boy in a wheelchair fishing with mum, Dad and the family. This little fisho wanted his tea brought down to the lake, he wanted to keep on fishing.
    I know there are a few organisations such as mates day, fish care, and I think old Rex is still involved in a few groups.
    I think it's great seeing these platforms being built but before they build anymore put a bit of thought into the designs. [I think a couple of our members might have trouble using this platform]
    I have seen pictures in magazines of platforms that have disabled access.

12. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Thinking about the fishing board walks and fishing platform with good access that run along River Parade Barwon Heads. Are actually walking board walks, but runners and even cyclists go on the board walks. The only Fishing spot is the small platform at the boat ramp. If you want to fish along the board walks good luck they are built over the mangroves and i would suspect pretty thick as there is an abundance of bait fish just cruising around with no fear.
    Wally

Old fisho, blair and kev209 like this.