1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Fixing up a boat trailer

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Garfield28, May 24, 2018.

1. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    G'day all,

Just wondering if anyone on this forum has fixed up a boat trailer that had a bit or rust or found it not worth it and bought new or second hand? A new one will cost me nearly 5k

My trailer is in need of repair mainly in what I guess you would call the undercarrige, the part that has the axle and spring connected to it, and I'm contemplating having a go at buying some lengths of SHS and re-welding a new undercarriage and either get it hot dipped or buy it already pre-galed.

Has anyone else here done something similar or maybe more and found it cost effective and easy enough to do? I'm hoping so and would love to hear what you did and possibly a few pics.

Thanks

Geoff

AJ Fishman, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Some pics of my trailer.
    The undercarriage is the problem area and the remainder of the trailer is still pretty good, so thought I could rebuild and replace the undercarriage and the rusted cross member that is towards the front of the trailer.

Maybe could build the undercarriage have it hot dipped and just bolt it on like the older rusted part.

Any advice and thoughts much appreciated.

Geoff

Attached Files:

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  3. AJ Fishman

AJ Fishman Active Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Hello Garfield
    I was thinking you could get that cross beam remover and and new one made up and welded into place or bolted in place like the aluminium boat trailers.
    hopefully this helps
    cheers AJ

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  4. Garfield28

Garfield28 Member

Nov 27, 2017
    Thanks for the reply

Yeah I think the cross member should be pretty straight forward to remove and replace its the other part that has me wondering if it can be done, and if money wise it works out also

AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.