1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Goin' bush for a while

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by diesel, Jul 3, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I will be off the air for a couple of months pursuing the other great passion in my life - fossicking. Most of the places we go to have no phone or internet reception which doesn't bother me all that much.

Keep the home fires burning men (and menettes), I will be back.

Jeff

2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I hope this is a very profitable trip for you. I've got to ask this question will you be doing any fishing while your away. Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Kev

creekboy, diesel and DeeBeeKay like this.
  3. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Enjoy mate, hear from you on your return, cheers davo

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Good luck mate.
    Cheers Pete

5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks, fellas.

We will be heading off on Friday, out to the Selwyn Ranges about 80 kms south of Cloncurry to scratch for amethyst crystals for a couple of weeks, then north to Normanton so I can have a crack at a barra or two, then it's east to a spot called Agate Creek for about a month digging for geodes and then to another spot for a couple of weeks digging for topaz and aquamarine crystal. We do this trip every few years to stock up on quality material for resale to people that are into gem cutting and polishing, but can't dig it themselves. A very profitable past-time that helps fund our layback lifestyle and not only that, it funds the new fishing gear that I need.

Jeff

6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    The story so far...unleaded, sorry, diesel posts that he is going to be offline for a couple months. Three people, including myself like that post!:cool:

Do you do any gem cutting or polishing yourself diesel? Anyway, have a good trip avgas!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Never really sure what fuel has to go into his car!

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    May your trip be a great success, Jeff, Safe travels, cheers, Lyall,

diesel, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  8. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I better not tell me wife you can get Aquamarine in Aus, she will be sending me up there to work and gather the goodies... She loves crystals and we have several cut an sphere's scattered over the house, a few which are large sphere's of Amethist, Rose Quartz, Tiger Eye and Aquamarine.

happy fossicking Jeff

:)

Madfisher, diesel, Rod Bender and 2 others like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I don't have the patience for it, Jim. I like to dig holes and find the minerals, especially precious gemstones and gold, but as far as faceting and other lapidary processes go, too time consuming and fiddly for me. I can pull a gearbox or a fishing reel apart and happily spend hours putting it all back together and if I stuff up somewhere along the way, I can start from scratch again - not something you can do if you make a monumental blunder with cutting an expensive gemstone.

There are a few good deposits of aquamarine in Oz, Anthony, the closest to you being Torrington, NSW. It is a gem variety of the mineral beryl (beryllium aluminium silicate), the second most valuable gem of that mineral, the most valuable being emerald.

If your wife sends you on a mission to find precious stones, remember these words...........there is a lot of water between fish and there is a hell of a lot of dirt between gemstones.

Jeff

10. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Have a great time Jeff N

creekboy and kev209 like this.