1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Goulburn River Chasing the Mighty Murray Cod.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports' started by jedgpz, Aug 26, 2019.

1. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Headed to the Goulburn river today to a spot I have not fished in about 30 years. I use to land base fish the area when I was younger with my dad. I drove out there the other day to have a look at the water levels and clarity and noticed that someone had cut a way down for 4WD and boat, so headed there to remember the days fishing with the old man.
    I said in a post recently that I mainly lure fish and this got me thinking with some major stuff happening in my life at the moment the though of drowning some cheese or chicken fillet and relaxing sounded good.
    I fished with said cheese and chicken (that way I could eat it too HA) . I also flicked a few lures (my Favourite Bassman DT, Number one Stumpjumber, a Codger and a surface Frog)

Weather was about perfect for this time of year. I normally like to be on the water about daybreak but with the freezing temp forecast for over night and the worn out feeling I decided to get there about 9am.

Tally for the day was one 58cm Murray Cod. Healthy looking fish and it was released to get to the metre mark.

I found a rod, reel with lure attached (if it is yours let me know and you can pick it up!)
    upload_2019-8-26_16-18-16.png

upload_2019-8-26_16-19-30.png

upload_2019-8-26_16-33-10.png

Cheers
    Jed

creekboy, Chili, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  2. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice! I am sitting on the Nine Mile Creek with one carp to my name! On saying that, I wasn't expecting anything but carp at this particular spot.

Did you try and get any shrimp? My effort failed although I did not have much confidence to start with. Would like to have tried deeper water but there isn't any here!

Last but not least...I have left many fishing rods with lures behind. Can you please describe it for me then I can tell you if it is mine!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Would I lie to you?....yes, if I can gain anything!:cool:

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    The Rod was covered in mud, the reel was caked in mud, the lure was pretty good really.
    I did try for shrimp but none were found.
    Cheers
    Jed

creekboy, Madfisher and kev209 like this.
  4. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Good report Jed, is it just me that can't see the pics properly? cheers davo

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I can see them fine.

6. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Ah now I can see them, must of took a while to load them, nice cod, cheers davo

7. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    You must be in country Vic with superfast NBN........
    It was nice to get a legal Cod. I did release it, as I normally C&R.
    Cheers
    Jed

8. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Missed this post. Nice fish mate. What did you get it on the bait or lure?

9. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    It fell to the mighty Cheese bait.

10. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    Thanks. Was shopping today, but a backtrack first. Spent some time over the last few days looking up home made baits. So now with that in mind and info gleaned, I purchased some ingredients for various fish species. The misses was "what are you buying that for?" So have my ingredients and am going to make up some baits. Over the following weeks I'll try them. Some I admit might be nutty, no not actual nuts though some recipes contained them! We will see. I have some ideas to boost those I saw.

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  11. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Some tackle shops are selling fishing dough which is made of the same food they use at Snobs Creek

creekboy and Chili like this.
  12. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    I have had some success with home made dough baits for Cod and Carp, Flour Cheese Garlic etc.

kev209, creekboy and Chili like this.
  13. Chili

Chili Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I have creamed corn, fish food (I dont have any fish in a tank) some Gulp recharge, tapioca flour and red jelly crystals. Also an old, still unused or opened pack of Stimulate. Stimulate works by opening the powder pack and tipping in the liquid from a plastic pouch and needing it till its a hard dough. It smells like salt n vinegar chips and is light red in colour. I wont use the liquid as I reckon it put the fish off but will replace it with Gulp recharge.

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I buy kids play dough from the Reject shop. I add Aniseed, Jelly crystals, Garlic, Corn, I use what I have in my power bait box or what I can pinch out of the cupboard or fridge when Lyn's not looking.