1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Goulburn River to be protected from high flows.

Discussion in 'Fishing in Victoria' started by Rod Bender, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    As the few of us who fish the Goulburn know, it can be a torrent of water during summer (damaging banks etc) as it is used as nothing more than an irrigation channel to move water to growers, mostly, if not all, almond growers in Mildura. Things have changed!
    https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/inter-valley-trade-changes-to-protect-our-waterways/
    The increase in water use over the last 3 years has been phenomenal!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Not much to say about this!

AJ Fishman, kev209, DeeBeeKay and 2 others like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jim. About time somebody noticed the annual damage. Cheers, Lyall.

Rod Bender, kev209 and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    So, if they reduce the flow into the Murray, what happens with the water that is held back? Will it used for other irrigation projects or held in storage for those times when it is needed for community use?

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Bloody good question Jeff

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    As I understand it, there will be no water savings. The Mildura growers will receive whatever they are entitled to. I had a quick look at the GMW site...and from my basic understanding of it, water allocations for the Goulburn are currently at 32% of water right. Which means there ain't much water. This will be reassessed as time goes by. So the only way less water will be used is if farmers are restricted with a limited water right.

So...I hear miner Jeff asking now, "What is the fkn point of this?" :cool: Here's the thing. Previously GMW would shove the water owing to the Murray system down the throat of the Goulburn in a couple months at peak flow. Now they will have to let the same amount of water go in undulating flow over twice the time and at no time will it be running 'chokers'!!!! I must say the time frames I used are a guess.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Irrigationologist!

AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    With all the snow this year, I guess there will be an abundance of water during the summer months down your way Jim. It makes sense to me that it would create the ideal opportunity to increase the storage capacity of water for household use, but then expecting authorities to take the sensible option is asking a bit much.

My brother who lives in Sydney told me recently that due to water shortage in the catchments that supply the Sydney basin, serious consideration is being given to increasing the size of their desalination plant and that creates a further problem - the huge amount of energy used for desalinating.

Sooner or later, some decision maker who is marginally more intelligent than a paper clip, will realize that they have to put a halt on population growth in those areas where the infrastructure can't handle the pressure.

Jeff

kev209 likes this.