1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

GPS to cover whole of North QLD?????????

Discussion in 'Electronics & Gizmos' started by 1970bluey, Apr 6, 2008.

1. 1970bluey

1970bluey New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    I am looking for a good GPS to cover whole of North QLD. I've got fishfinder/depth sounder but want a GPS so I can check everything out in NTH QLD. Can I update my car one with maritime data as I have 2 gig space on it and I can plug it into the cigarete lighter on boat. Please help.

2. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Bluey
    Check out Garmin Maptech East coast Austalia digital mapping on CD rom or storable disc.Bring up any area and zoom in ,looks just like a nautical chart,remembering it's coastal and inland bays only.You need a topographic for that.Gives you a waypoint manager so you can plan your trip and fav.spots at home on P.C and download them into your Gps or preferrably your Chart Plotter.So good for checkin' out reefs,water levels,wrecks etc including proximity pts such as danger areas i.e Rocks.
    It will automatically not only give you Lat.and Long. but distance and bearing from one waypt. to the next.
    What sought of sounder do you have and can you integrate your Gps of choice and then ask yourself ,how much can you afford.
    Good luck and keep in touch
    If you look in my Gallery pics will post a couple of shots of the computer screen showing Dig.mappping.of Broken Bay and Port Jackson as examples.Even if you just have the software for $200 you can download the waypts into a hand held Gps via usb cable.
    Chicka

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  3. 1970bluey

1970bluey New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Thanks for your answer, but my gps can't be hooked up by usb cable. It has a 2gb card usb reader which is playing up and has to be formatted. Do you know anything about those last resort machines, Epirbs, that lets people know roughly where you are if you are out far and sinking, apperantly I have to get a digital one of them and chuck the anologue one by 2009.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  4. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi Bluey
    What sort of marine radio do you have because epirbs are an extra option used depending on distance from shore.If you have a GPS it should be connected to your radio giving you a personal MMSI number ,allowing Search and Rescue an exact fix on your position at all times.Suggest VHF DSC CAPABLE! although you need a marine radio lic.to operate it.You can also join your local Coastal Patrol as an extra safety for a small annual fee.Guys head out to "Browns Mt." 20 klm in smaller boats these days.We have a membership here in Sydney.
    The software side of navigation makes it easy!Yeah you need a card and USB to transfer from CD rom but you can also buy the card of the East Coast Oz too!with pre loaded data straight to chart plotter.I find it's better to pre/plan your trips in the comfort of your own home on PC.The options are limitless!
    We still use the old backup handheld Garmin GPS map 76 downloaded with fishing spots,waypts and routes from this software when fishing inshore.I mean so many fishos seem to only record these Pts when there at them!and don't use them to there full potential.
    The 406 gpirb is the compulsory way they are heading.Things changed dramatically back in 1998 with the advent of the Syd.to Hob. yatch race in terms of Search and Rescue techniques.and are constantly being upgraded to put everyone under the same system. Have a look at the Garmin 172c plotter ,there great.
    Good luck and do some research on these products.
    Get back to us if I can be of help.
    Chicka
    E/D www.geodetic.com.au gives you an idea of products and prices.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  5. 1970bluey

1970bluey New Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Cool site Chicka, EPIRBS are half the price i've been told, thanks. Still looking at GPS

6. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi there
    Dropped in to Map World the other day to buy some maps on the Upper Hawkesbury and looked at the "Topo" dig. mapping for the whole of N.S.W.
    1:250,000 scale memory map Nav.Gps mapping software including Sattelite photos.
    For $300 you would definately get your moneys worth.The Garmin East Coast Ozz. only really covers the coastline.Again you have the benefit of pre-planning trips from home and discovering new ones along the way.Check out www.pressdigital.com.au/ for topographic mapping of your preferred State.In the search box type in topo for more info.
    Check Ya!
    Ed/Check out www.mapworld.com.au and www.boatbooks-aust.com.au/ which are two really good shops for all mapping related products.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  7. Blinky

Blinky New Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Get a Garmin, you can put Australia wide full topo "shonky maps" on them!

8. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Hi There
    Those Australia and World wide CDs they sell are absolute crap and a waist of money as well,giving you limited detail displays.The only bonus is they have an inbuilt waypt. manager.
    The Garmin Blue Chart of East Coast Ozz. was the best money I spent,but is only marine.They are based on Raster nautical charts with a zoom in for advanced detail.You pay to unlock a specific area!
    To get absolute detail on a pinptoint area the paper topographic maps are the best being 1:25 000.
    The dig. Topo maps of each State are in a scale of 1: 250 000.
    So before you jump in and shell out money for inefficient software do your resourcing carefully.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  9. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Gps Software

Hi all
    Garmin have brought out an updated 3d version of marine cartography which when switched from chart you get a visual approach e.g coming into port.
    It amazes me how far technology has developed!
    A good source for Gps loaded with heaps of specs is Johny Appleseed.
    www.ja-gps.com.au
    Cheers

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  10. chicka

chicka New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
  11. skinnee

skinnee New Member

Apr 17, 2009