1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Great day crap fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by reelaxation, May 28, 2020.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Went down the beach today try to get some 'ting and bream and maybe some taylor and salmon...
    T'was a beautiful day, the water was fairly warm but I didnt catch anything... At least I got to try out my new Gary Howard rods- have to say I like them but I am used to fishing heavier so the 3W 2-4kg rods felt very sloppy when casting which I was a bit disappointed with... I am thinking I need to try a few different lead sizes to see which gives me the greatest distance without sacrificing accuracy which is pretty hard to do with an Alvey.

FYI I was running size 2 bean sinkers on 10lb flouro leader, the current pushing right to left didnt help much. I did try 2 X size 2 sinkers on the Breambo which gave me better casting distance wise, so maybe I need to get some size 3 leads for the future.

On a side note some tool caught a nice 1m+ Dusky Whaler overnight and left it on the sand to die- not a good look and lots of people standing around it. I dont know why people dont release these awesome fish- they make great sport if you dont want them for a feed. What a shame it could have provided a great fight for someone else.

Heading out Sunday have got some people booked in for a beach class- hopefully we can get onto some fish- but with a dead low not after we arrive and the erosion from last weeks monster southerly swells the beach is a lot shallower than I had expected, with no gutters or holes.

Tight lines
    Anthony

Old fisho, creekboy, blair and 2 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I like a 2-4kg light surf rod if fishing a rip, a lot of fun, especially on tailor and salmon.

If you can get hold of some small star sinkers around the same weight as your #2 beans (18 - 20 grams), it might help to anchor your rig when there is a current running. I bought some in South Australia years ago and maybe that's about the only place they are used as I haven't seen them elsewhere. You might be pushing the limit of the rod with a #3 bean that are generally around the 30g mark, but if it handled 2 x #2 beans then maybe you wont have a problem.

What is the lure weight rating on the Breambo?

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy and blair like this.
  3. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Not sure it doesnt say on the blank, but I will try to find out for sure. I have used 2-5kg rods from the beach like UglyStik's but these are just really different- prob because they have a slow action and taper, whereas the UglyStik and equivalent are fast action fast taper and can fling a size 4/5 sinker out no problems... I am just going to have to get used to it, but I can get snapper leads in size 2/3 from BCF or tear drop leads with wire maybe use more of a paternoster.

I guess this is a good time to experiment with them.

Thanks for the advice Jeff, appreciate the help :)

4. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    How do these rods compare to the old 'Black Queen' in regards to action? Eventually I may get a similar rod as opposed to the poorer quality 'queens' that are produced now. Are the GH rods that you have low mounts as that is not what I am after.

In regards to your unsuccesful fishing trip...I have no doubt it will inspire you to do better next time!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Likes a floppy rod!

Old fisho and diesel like this.
  5. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Hey Bender, yes they are low mount but you can get them in mid mount for spin reels aswell... I am not sure how the actions would be compared to the old "Black Queen" rod but I would guess it would be pretty similar action- they have a slow taper and slow action- on the cast very wobbly down the shaft of the rod coz they are so light. I would prob (next time) go the 4W (3-5kg) or 5W (3-6kg) rod.

Here is the link to the Breambo 4W (mid mount) - Max cast 20gm

https://www.outbackadventures.net.a...breambo-4-wrap-mid-mount-2-piece-fishing-rod/

Link to Estuary 3W (mid mount) -Max cast 15gm

https://www.outbackadventures.net.au/product/gary-howard-estuary-9-mid-mount-2-piece-fishing-rod/

Hope this helps mate

Rod Bender, diesel and Old fisho like this.
  6. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I have some of them. Also bought in SA but several years ago. They seem to be about a1/4 the size of my 3oz stars yet they dig into sand quite well for something so small. Should weigh one to check it out. You mention paternosters Anthony. Can I assume you normally use a running sinker for your bream and stuff?
    Noel

blair, diesel and reelaxation like this.
  7. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Yeah Noel I use a running lead rig with 2 swivels to stop line twist, I dont normally do paternoster rigs except when chasing taylor, salmon and jewies, but I did see a rig put up my one of the Sydney based guides Alex Belissimo he uses a paternoster rig for whiting and bream, so I might give it a crack next time.

blair and diesel like this.
  8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Interesting. I've never used anything but running sinkers for bream or whiting. I use nothing else, having a long standing belief in never putting anything on a line that doesn't HAVE to be there. Swivels at times being one of those that can be needed. I just let the lead slide down to the hook eye. I don't believe the sinker makes any difference to fish as they must often pick up a stone or something whilst bottom feeding. I've wondered about using a combination of a paternoster dropper as a top hook and a trailng hook on the bottom for bream and whiting, though I rarely use bait for anything other than the surf and that's on paternosters, or whiting up the river.
    Tied another version of worm flies a few days ago and in water, their action surpasses anything I could have expected.
    Noel

blair likes this.
  9. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Sure does! When I purchased the Snyder Glas Contessas, I was hoping they were similar to Black Queens but they aren't. On saying that, they will come in handy. What I was after is a rod that would be used in freshwater using floats. The ability to cast heavy weights is not required.

I will see how the Contessas go...I wont be buying any other rods in the near future.
    Cheers
    Jim

blair, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  10. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Don't think I'll be buying any more....Full stop