1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Dec 24, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
  2. Dickson

Dickson Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Wow 80 happy birthday Noel:D

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  3. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Happy Bday Noel, hope you have a stella day and get to wet a line or 2... Fish on ol mate :D

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 4 others like this.
  4. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Fantastic work Kev!!!!

Happy Birthday Noel! Hope you have/had a fabulous day!!

5. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Happy Birthday Noel .

blair, creekboy, Old fisho and 2 others like this.
  6. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Happy Birthday Noel, all the best, cheers davo

7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Nothing humbles me more quickly than nice things being said.
    It's no wonder I like talking with all you old reprobates.
    (and those not so old)
    This post has made my day even if I didn't find it for a couple of days.
    Couldn't let it go unacknowledged.
    Thank you.
    Noel

blair, DeeBeeKay, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  8. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    I have to wish you ANOTHER one. HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY, NOEL. Cheers, Lyall.

blair, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  9. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Sorry a bit late, but happy birthday Noel.
    Cheers Pete

10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    A belated 'Happy Birthday' wish old mate.:)

Jeff

11. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Jeff.
    Hadn't seen you on here for a while so assumed you might have been on the way home.
    If so, hope you had no problems or dramas.
    Noel.

blair, kev209 and diesel like this.
  12. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Got home a few days ago Noel, no problems or dramas. You know what travelling with a caravan is like, just take it easy, pick your destination each day with a backup plan in case you don't get there and enjoy the journey.

I did a 700 km round trip in my little Mazda yesterday into Mt Morgan to have a look at a dual cab ute that a lady is selling for a ridiculously low price and I think the trip knocked the hell out of me more so than towing the van back home from Lake Macquarie. It was worth it though, I've just added another vehicle to my collection - a 2011 Ford Ranger 3 litre turbo diesel 4wd, in good condition for 10 grand.

Jeff

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Sounds like a good buy.
    I bought my V8 Jeep Laredo for $14K when it cost $70K new. We flew from Geelong to Sydney to check it and bought it on the spot. Still driving a perfect vehicle ten years later. The Laredo is the Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles and has
    towed a 2.5tonne caravan
    for around 100,000km so it's done some work in its days. Our first Jeep had close to 300,000km up when we sold it to the first guy who looked at it. Paid $12K for it and sold it seven years later for almost $9K. That makes cheap motoring. My mate who will only drive Volvos drops around ten grand a year in depreciation alone.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  14. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I wanted something that had the grunt to tow the van and also carry the gear we take on long distance trips. The old Landcruiser Troopy I've used for the past 20 years has reached it's use-by date, still a good old truck, but slows down if I see a hill on the horizon and as rough as guts to ride in.

I will put an aluminium checkerplate lockable canopy on the back of the Ranger to keep thieving lowlives away from my fishing gear and other goodies. I was talking to a bloke at a rest area last weekend who lost all of his fishing gear plus an Engel freezer out of the back of his ute in a caravan park at Narrabri - no canopy, an open invitation for whoever wanted his gear, just reach in and take it. Sort of makes you wonder about the mindset of some people, they are too trusting.

Ranger.JPG

The Ranger, a blank canvas to convert into the next fishing truck.

Jeff

blair, Madfisher, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  15. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Jeff , just out of interest what model was your old landbruiser. The toughest vehicle I ever owned was a 76f j40 swb, awsome in steep country, not quite as good in mud. mine had the guzzler 2f motor. one of my friends has a similar model ute to your new one, done over 300000ks, still going strong.

cheers pete

Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Pete, it's a 1997 HZJ75 with the 4.2litre 1HZ engine. I've done over 400,000 kms in it, mostly in remote country and it's still going okay, but it's gutless compared to the power of the 3 litre turbo diesel in the Ranger. I'll tweak the output of the Ford a bit more with a DP chip which will put it up close to the performance of a Landcruiser 4.5litre turbo V8 on a power to weight ratio with about half the fuel consumption.

It looks like Toyota are finally going to stop production of their V8 diesels and are working on a fuel efficient twin turbo V6 for the next generation of Cruisers.

Jeff

17. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Jeff i drive plenty of the miltary style v8s at work, they certainly like to drink, sound powerfull but are not really unless tweaked. My 3.2 Paj would easily see them off while returning and average of 10l/100. The twin turbo v8 wagons are a different kettle of fish, very powerfull. The HP is even using one. Them old 1hz are one of the longest lasting motors around. My mate put extractors on his 91 troopy and it did make a difference to performance and economy. Watch your EGTS if you up the power on your ranger.
    Cheers Pete

18. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I would never chip a turbo diesel without first installing a quality stainless steel sheathed pyrometer, Pete. I've worked on a lot of engines (mainly Caterpillar) where excessive EGT's have done a lot of damage. The re-mapping function of a DP chip can be controlled better than a lot of other chips in a way that you only get the power increase when it is really needed, such as towing a caravan up hill. So long as the chip doesn't over-ride the limits set by the engine control module, the EGT's will stay well below critical.

Some chips available online (especially off Ebay), are cheap mass produced garbage coming out of China and in my opinion should not be fitted to any diesel engine, but people buy them and install them with no experience or knowledge of what the potential outcome will be apart from an increase in power. Because a lot of the cheap chips are non adjustable, they only do one thing - constantly increase fuel pressure which leads to an increase in EGT's and higher emissions.

I've always liked the Pajero and seriously thought about buying one not so long back. A mate up here (another diesel mechanic) just bought a new one, his third since the early 90's and he swears by them. They are a very under rated tough & capable vehicle that seem to slip under the radar with most buyers, perhaps only because according to some of the reviews the body style hasn't changed for a long time, but look how successful the 70 series Landcruisers have been - very little change since the mid 80's.

Jeff

Old fisho, blair and kev209 like this.
  19. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Yes Jeff, mine is a 2009 nt sEries with the 147kw motor. I only tow around 800kg, but it does not know its there. The other vehicles i had very good runs out of where petrol v6 jackaroos, had two both good. In facxt at one time the missus had a v6 auto nullarbor , and i had a white manual v6. the auto was to thirsty though, esp the way Sal drove it, sold it and brought a low k xtrail which does everything she wants. Mainly going to BUNNINGS LOL.
    The interior fittings on the jacks where better quality. I did a fair bit of research before buying the paj, and the td 3.2 seem to have and excellent rep, the one i brought the guy had serviced every 6 months, and sometimes it had only done 2 thousands ks. I have fitted a catch can, and a 2nd filter, otherwise its only had normal services.
    Pete

20. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    My Mazda Tribute is a 3litre V6 petrol, 150kw with a power to weight ratio of close to 100kw/tonne - it's a grunty little car and a bit scary after driving the old troopy.

Jeff