1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Hate lures, sticking with Bait.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Three sessions fishing last few days about 4 hours each the results. Trying braid for the 2nd time in my life even a strong cross wind with 10 lbs braid power pro and 8 lbs Daiwa competition flurocarbon no3 ball sinker about 13gms. loved it perfect long casts every time even after the wind making a big curve in the cast .using a paternoster and a long skinny shank hook baited with a worm. Rod resting in a rod rest a lot of 3 inch Redfin pulling and dropping bait so a different method with slack line so bow wave is created and once straiht lift rod ad they are on.
    Same size rod and reel but 12lbs mono Berkley clear. Same method and rig.
    Catch rate Braid 8 and mono 8 an even draw. Two keeper Redfin and able to fillet.
    Lures on the Braid and flurocarbon was fine I got snagged on some rock as it was very Rocky. the test now was on my knots or flurocarbon guess what gave way. The hook it straightened out spinning for a least 6 hours produced nothing.
    As we are down sizing to move into Town in a coup[e of years I put all the lures on market place ,most new in packets brand new including Stump jumpers, Bassman spinners Tassie devils and others lures about 40 plastics and 15kgs of lead and lead weights. I put the lot on for $50.00 had 10 replys in about ten minuites. The first person to say he will pick it all up is coming from Langwarren how keen is that 2 1/2hrs away
    Wally

2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I too am thinking of getting rid of all my lures + some of my rods and reels which I dont use- then the $$$ I will throw back into my Little Minnows Fishing School (which I have just re-opened in time for this weekend).

My plan is to have enough $$$ in the kitty to invest in some rod racks for my car and keep some aside for bait and terminal tackle when I teach the kids to fish. Any left overs I will use to buy better gear and maybe add some goodies for come end of year comps.

I will always love using bait and I will keep some lures, mostly the ones I have won or are made locally and some plastics which I dont mind using occasionally, the rest will go up for grabs sometime in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck with the rest of the testing on the braid/flouro/mono mate.

Tight lines

Anthony
    :)

creekboy, kev209, diesel and 2 others like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Wally, if you want to try something different, get one of the 3 inch redfin and send it back out on a hook! Hook it under the dorsal fin or in though the mouth and out through the top of the mouth. This (using live redfin as bait) is legal in Victoria but the redfin must be caught at the location that you are going to use it.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Don’t use the live redfin technique in other states kiddies!

4. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Good idea I have never thought about it let alone try it. I always take a 6 to 10kg 6' 6''rod with a 4000 reel spooled with 15lbs mono ad a size 1/0 hook on it. so when I catch a couple I will pop them in my keep net and give it a go.Thanks Jim I guess you would want to fish one rod or untangle a pair of fishing lines LOL
    Wally

5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I'm thinking the same thing. So I picked up some expanding bait. I gave 1 a go but still a bloody DONUT.

handgrenades.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    That rod and reel will be fine. Reality is you may pick up a 25 cm redfin if you use a 10 cm one for bait. You know how aggressive they are!

I would still use 2 rods Wally. If there are no larger fish around your live redfin bait will go untouched. I haven't used live redfin for a while but I think I used a heavy sinker to keep the bait in check. It can still swim around.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Kev. At least the expanding bait would be easier to cast, don't know about the splash attracting too many takers though. Cheers, Lyall.

8. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Seems wet and/or windy during every weeks here.
    Weekends are still bringing fishing clubs each Friday
    and there's too many boats on the water.
    Haven't been out for yonks.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  9. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I've been told expanding bait also works very well on boats

creekboy and diesel like this.
  10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    When I was a kid I used electric detonators for stunning monster goldfish in an old open cut coal mine that had filled with water. It was about 25 metres deep and I had a raft to get out to the middle, a 12 volt battery to trip the detonators and then just wait for them to float to the surface. Some of them would have been a foot long and once I had gathered enough, I would take them to the local pet shop where I got paid anywhere up to 5 bob each.

My brother used to stand cockatoo watching for the cops in case somebody took offence to my setting off depth charges.

Jeff

11. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Jeff sounds like that was great fun. Today all the bangs and explosions are set off in hate and creating sorrow in crowded populated areas.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  12. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Kev, you leave that a bit open ended. I hope you mean 'from' boats, not as it could suggest 'for' boats.
    Jeff, I always suspected you might have had a misspent youth. Now I'm certain.

13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Noel, I had an uncle who 'acquired' huge amounts of gelignite & detonators when the coal mines closed in the area where I grew up and he wasn't a real security minded person when it came to storage. My cousins, my brother & myself learned how to handle it without losing limb or life at an early age after spending time with my uncle out bush blowing big iron-bark logs for firewood.

We once packed 6 sticks of gelignite into an old thermos flask and detonated it on the top of a local hill one cracker night. It left a hole big enough to bury a small house and the noise was heard almost 15 kms away.

A misspent youth?

One way of putting it, but I prefer misunderstood. :D

Jeff

blair, creekboy, reelaxation and 4 others like this.
  14. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jeff. None of the above, just good clean fun. No problem there. Cheers, Lyall.

diesel and kev209 like this.
  15. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I was talking to a very good mate of over 50 years a few weeks ago, and we had a good laugh about some of the things we did when we were younger. After the great 2 hour phone call came to an end because we couldn't think of any other sh#t to talk about. We both agreed what we called fun in those days, you would get locked up for doing less these days. The local Cops were different in those days and we had respect for them.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It was fun Wally, but if kids tried doing that sort of thing today they would be locked up for a long time.

It was a different time with different values, none of the hatred and violence that is so common place in our current world.

Jeff

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Kev, I will start a new thread on things we did back when we were kids.

Jeff

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  18. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I'll drink to that

creekboy, Old fisho and diesel like this.
  19. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Back to the original thread, Im addicted to lure fishing, Bait is Boring! But I do respect your View.

20. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I would love to be able to get out there and flick a few SP's and hard bodies around, the mind is willing but the body isn't, I wouldn't last 5 minutes. I'll just have to stay an old fart bait soaker. I have never worried about donut days before, but the last couple of times I've been out I've come home very disappointed. I must be getting old or something.

creekboy and diesel like this.