1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Head on a swivel fellers

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Tackleberry, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    G'day all please when out on your boats keep your head on a swivel and be aware of everything around you , a bloke I know here in paynesville has just died in the Alfred hospital after a horrific boat accident today ......

Kev209., Old fisho, blair and 2 others like this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    That is bad news. I heard on the news yesterday that three people in a boating accident in Gippsland . Where two went to the Paynesville hospital and one to the Alfred in a critical condition.
    Wally

Kev209., Old fisho, blair and 2 others like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've often seen boats pulling a skier or a tube with only the driver in the boat, no observer and generally looking behind rather than what's in front. Jet skiers are notorious for not watching where they are going and as a kayaker, I hate them with a passion.

That's sad news Tac. One of the boats must have been well over the 5 knot limit to cause such an accident.

Jeff

4. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Sad news mate, it takes all sorts but I detest those oversized mosquito drivers (jetskiers) here on our local waterways- most have no respect for other water craft and some are just plain dangerous.

Always a good idea to keep your eyes peeled and if you have a passenger they need to keep their own eyes open for potential risks- with all the flood waters up and down the coast it is very easy to run over a submerged log or hit something if you aren't paying attention.

Kev209., Old fisho and blair like this.
  5. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yep 2 in the Bairnsdale hospital and where the accident happened there is no speed limmit and nor does it need one .
    The bloke that died was T boned from the starboard side right at the helm ......

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I thought in Vic the 5 knot speed limit applied to being within 50 metres of another vessel, fixed structure or swimmers, regardless of whether there was a fixed speed limit indicated by signage.

Jeff

7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    It does I thought you meant as in speed zone but obviously the two blokes in the other boat did not see him and ran straight over the top of him

8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Some of The Sydney water taxis and high speed ferry drivers are dangerous will come from behind structure etc at full speed or just line you up from distance and keep going straight.

9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm with anyone who would like these 'mosquito' things banned totally. There's nothing wrong with the machines - they just seem to attract idiot owner/drivers.
    They quite often tow people on tubes etc while the only person on board.
    No, that's wrong.
    On a boat, you're on board. Even the laws don't rate those things as boats.
    The inspectors have told us years ago Blair, that that is how they quickly detected Mexicans without a boat licence while in NSW. They drove straight toward the other vessel. If they had a boat licence the other driver would steer to the right/starboard. Without a boat licence, it was natural to veer left.
    Simple but effective. I assume a licence is needed now in Vic??
    Noel

Kev209., diesel and blair like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Actually I don't like that the bloke died just clicked like to acknowledge I had read the post.

11. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Yes Noel have done for 10 years or so ......

Kev209. and Old fisho like this.