1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Hi guys, what got you into fishing?.

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Madfisher, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Me well I have been fishing mad for as long as I can remember. Growing up on a grazing property with no major rivers close by in was all ways hanging out to go fishing. I compensated by scoping tadpoles, then graduated to catching yabbies in farm dams, and gudgeons ( mountain Galaxias) in the local small creeks with bent pins. A big one was a bit over 4ins long. Amazing we use to fry them up and eat them.
    Cheers Pete

2. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    I can still remember out first camping trip to wyangala dam in 1964, us kids slept in the back of the ute, Mum and Dad slept on the ground, we caught stacks of trout on worms. I can still remember how excited I was .
    Pete

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    My first fishing experience was with my dad. We caught carp most of the time whilst chasing cod which were hard to come by back in the mid to late 70's.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Nothings changed!

4. jedgpz

jedgpz Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2019
    My Dad was a keen fisho, Holidays and days off where fishing centred.

The water has become my Happy Place.

5. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    I am off today flyfishing for carp with my youngest, he is even picking me up. the wheels keep turning full circle.
    Pete

6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I guess it was in the blood for me, my old man loved his fishing, my old Pop loved his fishing, most of my cousins loved their fishing and growing up close to Lake Macquarie, central coast beaches and Port Stephens injected salt water into my veins.

Now, after more than 65 years of fishing, the gear has changed, but the passion is still the same as when I was a kid sitting on a jetty using a bit of old mono wrapped around an old bottle or a bit of fence paling.

7. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I was too young to remember, But I have a Photo showing me propped up against a yabby pump. Holding a hand line. I was in a nappy, and may not have been walking. Im 65 now !!

8. CornaCarpio

CornaCarpio Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2018
    We moved up to the country when I was 10 to Stawell in Western Victoria. The very first fishing trip my Dad and I did was to Lake Lonsdale, where he caught a 6lb (or 8lb) Brown Trout on a Gillies hopper spinner. I remember he was so proud of it. He called into the bottle shop on the way home and two old codgers were there who had been fishing their whole life said it was the "biggest fish" they've ever seen. We even had the head frozen in the fridge for years, which came out at every available opportunity. It must have been some sort of fluke, because we went back everyday for weeks on end trying to catch another one, without so much as even a bite, or if we were lucky, an occasional Redfin, but nevertheless, a seed was sewn. In fact, I don't think my Dad has caught another Trout since then. I became obsessed with catching 'a Trout' from that moment on. It took me 4 years to do it, a relatively small specimen from nearby Lake Fyans on the same spinner my Dad used.

During my first few years fishing, Redfin accounted for 99.99% of all my catches, but then we moved out of town more or less on the banks of the mighty Wimmera River, where besides Redfin, I was introduced to natives such as Yelllowbelly, Catfish, Blackfish (all somewhat of a rarity these days) and of course, the ubiquitous Carp.

I have gone through many 'phases' as a fisherman, becoming almost obsessed with certain techniques and species along the way, but my love of fishing remains. Right now, I'm obviously in a 'Carp-phase', one I'm not sure I'll ever grow out of - but not sure I want to either!

Below is the obligatory first-ever pic with a fish. It was a Trout caught on a handline from a friend's swimming pool in Kew! This was a few years before the fishing bug had actually taken hold...

CC
    Feeling nostalgic

DocImage000000003.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    My family had a shack at Dutchies Beach, Port Stephens during the 1950's and we would go there a few times a year and it was my indoctrination into not just fishing, but boats.

We had an old wooden row boat that my old man would take my sister & myself out in and thinking back to that old boat now, I can vividly remember the smell of it - a smell that only wooden fishing boats take on, not unpleasant, but unique.
    7. 1952.jpg
    My sister and myself in the old wooden boat at Dutchies Beach, Port Stephens - 1952

1987434.full.jpg

Wouldn't I love to have a shack at Dutchies Beach today and wake up to that view each morning.

Jeff

blair, ratherbefishin, kev209 and 4 others like this.
  10. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    My first memory of fishing, (I don't remember the first fish I caught); I was about five; is being carried through the tall reeds of our old home town river in western Vic. A water hen (eastern swamp hen) flapped up from the old bloke's feet and one of its wings actually hit me. I was terrified and thought Pop just so brave when he never batted an eye. We walked a mile or two to reach the river. Our parents never owned a car.
    We only caught redfin; we called them perch in those days and the average fish was around two pound; unlike what I see today. Our only bait was bullheads (as in gudgeon) that we caught with a scarp of worm on a bent pin, as did Madfisher Pete. As said, a big bullie was about 4" long. We never tried to eat them but did occasionally eat the long thin minnows, like whitebait, netted from the river when they seemed to gang up to breed or migrate.

There was a mounted fish on the wall beside the station master's office at the railway station and the brass plaque on it read:
    'Brown trout, 8lb 13oz, caught by George Murray,
    Woady Yalloak River, 1939'.

That was the year I was born. For unknown reasons, I always wanted to catch trout, with a seemingly impossible dream of eclipsing old George's fish. It is still in my fishing philosophy today that if you are out there often enough, all such things will eventually happen. Trout were, according to locals, extremely difficult to catch and if you did, were unfit for any table. That was old fashioned country town talk and of course rubbish from ignorant people. Those that said it knew nothing about trout and included my family.
    I was around twenty when I left the old town and by then rarely chased or caught anything but trout. Most caught were between four and seven ponds; grand fish and I started something when I released a magnificent hen that would have been about six pound. I think the family were going to have me certified insane. Releasing fish was unheard of. What you caught you killed.
    I have caught NZ trout over 10lb on several occasions but my biggest in Australia both came from that old river and were over nine. One weighed 9 pound 13oz. I mostly used the little old 'Hardy's Imp spoons and later graduated to using rubber mudeyes. In the early days, being from a poor family, our home made rods were of Indian cane and capable of supporting phone wires compared with today's delicate stuff.
    I have since grown through many forms of fishing, including trout, snapper, flathead, salmon, tailer, long toms and barra, all on lures and fly, marlin to 300lb, enjoyed fishing beaches (but not rocks) and love our local lakes. Have landed too many species from garfish upward (have also caught on fly just to prove a point) to recall.
    Noel
    A lifetime of fishing in a nutshell

blair, ratherbefishin, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  11. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Thanks Noel, most fisherman would have called that 9lb 13oz fish a 10lber, or dropped a few sinkers down its gullet lol.
    cheers Pete.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    blair, diesel, ratherbefishin and 2 others like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thank you Pete.
    Your post is a good one.
    Noel.

13. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    As a kid I went on many fishing trips with Dad, my uncle and his mate. I was told to watch and learn. I never did any fishing, but it sure got me hooked :):)

14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    But Kev, you must have, as they said, learnt something.
    From the bearded bard from the bush; welcome back to TBX. We missed you.
    Am soon to be a slightly smaller person. The planned schedule for the operation to remove some bits from inside the heart has been brought forward and am admitted to hospital tomorrow with the surgery bit now on Friday rather than next Monday. Highly inconvenient but nothing more. We only found out this afternoon and of course there's lots of little things that have to be done like clothes to wash, garden to be considered to mention only two. The hospital is 200kms away. Will not be on air much for a few days and look forward to rejoining my fisho mates soon.
    regards to you all and thanks for the many kind words.
    Noel

blair, diesel, kev209 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    Speedy recovery Noel, looking forward to your words of wisedom.
    best wishes Pete

blair, diesel, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Just got the estimated cost for the operation's anaesthetist. Try $1000 per hour. Of the first three hours, $3K, we get $800 back from insurer and Medicare. The charge is $2200 above the scheduled fee we were told when checking the cost with the insurers and nothing anyone can do. If Rajeev is one of the world's best surgeons, I hope he is using the world's best anaesthetists. He also expects the procedure to be between four and six hours so the gap of our anaesthetist's bill, payable by us, will increase at a fairly rapid rate. $1000 per hour is pretty good dollars in anyone's book. The doctor, Rajeev, regardless of his reputation, works on scheduled fees and charges us nothing.

blair, diesel, Madfisher and 2 others like this.
  17. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Pete. Good to have the guys on side.
    noel

18. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn and I wish you all the best for your opps. We will be thinking of you while you are in Hospital.

blair, Old fisho, diesel and 2 others like this.
  19. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Active Member

Sep 9, 2019
    First, I hope the surgery fixes up what it needs to Noel and you have a quick recovery.

Second; this is possibly the best thread I have read on any forum, ever.

I think my situation is the reverse of everyone else's; my son got us into fishing.
    When he was about 2, he saw an episode of iFish. For the next week he wouldn't stop talking about the types of fish he'd seen and he spent hours sitting on his bed with various toys, pretending to fish from a boat. Given his interest and the fact that we found it more palatable than kids TV, we started recording iFish for him. We were subjected to repeated watchings of each episode over the course of a week to the point where we were praying for the next one to come out so we could see something new. Forget the Wiggles, forget kids TV, he wanted iFish. Then, one day, we saw an episode of Robson Green's Extreme Fishing. Impossibly, his enthusiasm went up several more notches and we started recording that too. In fact, it got to the point where the hard drive in our 250 gig digital video recorder was literally 90% full with iFish and (even more) Extreme Fishing. Then he found Jeremy Wade......and I was constantly having to negotiate with him which fishing show we'd delete so we could record the coming weeks new episode.
    During this period we'd also we purchased him one of those kids easy-cast reels with a casting plug, which was his favorite toy. It caused me hours of work, untying the line from various toys he'd 'hooked' (aka tied up so he could fight it from his bed), unraveling birds nests, repairing the reel each time it failed and providing innumerable stern reminders that casting inside the house wasn't permitted. With all this in mind, we figured we'd probably better try and give him a go at some real fishing.

We started by asking a mate of mine who was an occasional fisho to help us out and he took us to the local lake for a spot of carp fishing. Unfortunately, we only managed to hook the worlds most lazy carp that day, though the lad seemed to enjoy bringing it in anyway. We then bought some cheap rod/reel combos and started trying to fish spots at the local lakes with red celta's; unfortunately with little success. Finally we headed to Tuross one weekend and on a whim headed for the Boat Shed where we bought a hand line (having left the rods at home) and some prawns. About three hours, many coffees and many, many small fish later, we had to call it a day....and were faced with complaints about leaving. At this point, we figured it was more than a passing interest.

Since then fishing has become a real family pastime for us. We've hooked more fish (thank goodness), upgraded rods, upgraded reels, tried shore-based fishing (at which I'm still utterly woeful), spent tens of hours in hire boats (despite being under 10, the lad will fish for 3-4 hours without a blink of the eye, pretty much regardless of hookup rate), gone out in a charter boat and, most recently, bought our own little boat. We also still watch an aweful lot of fishing on TV (be it Youfish TV, youtube, free to air or whatever). Unfortunately I've still got a lot to learn in terms of how to improve our hookup rates, but the lads enthusiasm is unwavering and he dreams of two things; hooking up to a Kingfish off the South coast and hooking into a dog tooth tuna off Vanuatu (thanks Mark Berg....not sure how we'll afford that one). For my part, I dream of getting better at putting us onto fish regularly, getting the lad on the water more often than once every few months and generally supporting his passion for fishing. And hooking myself a decent kingie on my own boat with my own gear... ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    blair, CornaCarpio, Old fisho and 4 others like this.
  20. Madfisher

Aug 14, 2016
    They say fisherman are born with the passion, not made. Your lad sounds like me a bit when i was young. Except we had no Tv, but had dams and a small creek. Carp are great sport for kids and readily available, brilliant fun on soft plastics or on fly.
    Tight lines Pete