1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

HI HO, HI HO

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Old fisho, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    It's fishing we did go.
    Last Wednesday my old boat, apparently returned to her former glory, headed up the Tuross River. On board was Ray of the 'new fisher' recent post. The only problem expected was 25kmh wind most of the day. The river's trees etc would hopefully provide some protection, whereas the lake would be a bit rugged. Ray wanted to learn about fishing SPs and we started with a chat session before wetting the boat. I had brought a spare outfit, ready rigged and was glad I did. Ray had a 3-4KG stick of indefinable origin, which flexed nicely under load but the load had to be about two house bricks. He used my 1-3kg alternative. Sadly, it was a waste of time. I feel the poor man has little chance of developing the techniques required for this style of fishing. Eventually we abandoned the project. It wasn't easy to do without destroying the small amount of confidence he'd achieved to date.
    After letting him pump some worms, and at that he remains sort of out of his depth too, we had a fish for some whiting. He immediately went back to his broom handle rod and wondered why it was not fishing like my gear. He eventually got a couple and that small success was enough to make his day. The sheer delight of people like Ray who really struggle to actually catch a fish is a delight to share. Basically, he is a hopeless case when it come to fishing finesse. Would I take him again? Yes indeed I would. He is a fine and honourable person, highly intelligent, excellent company and I admire him as a person. Perhaps I'll even get him to be a better fisher one day????? We can but hope.

But we went out again yesterday. This time 'Bill' was on board. Bill can fish and fishes quite well. We headed first for the spot where we poured white paint on the water to mark it. Bugger!!! It seems someone had pinched it as it was not to be seen. Jeff's idea of painting something on the boat may have actually been better. We worked our butts off for precious little. Fished SPs and Bill used some new vibes he'd bought on line (only because they were 12 for $20) and they are crap. I hit one reasonable flattie I assumed but dropped it after about 10 seconds. I then lost one lure on an underwater log and followed that up by hanging one high in a gum tree. The tide was still on the ebb and little was happening. Prepared for a forecast 25-27kmh wind and fairly low temperature, like that of Wednesday, we were rugged up like mountain climbers. By 10.30 we were shedding jackets, sitting in glassy water, with not a blemish in the sky. Dunno what happened to BoM's calculations. It was magnificent. But no bleedin' fish did we find.
    It was mid afternoon when the tide finally began to run up again and having abandoned SPs some time before, two whiting lines went off simultaneously. I fluked one at 42cm. We succeeded in catching nothing again for a while and had several shifts. I finally suggested we go back to an oft used place. There things improved a bit and we finished with about 7-8 whiting, all of excellent length and girth after putting several back. This part of our river is a pretty spot. Use your brains and work it; and you'll almost always get a decent feed of whiting, bream, luderick or trevally. There were lots of mullet there too and we put a few accidentally caught ones back. I even had the boat's lights on going back to the ramp. It was well after official sunset. Didn't have to cook dinner either as Boss had become sick of waiting for us. Like all others, it was a great day on the water while enjoying good company.
    Sorry about the usual extent of the waffle, but a report saying
    "We got three fish"
    isn't really a report. Noel.

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. 3 is still 3 better than bugger all. How did the boat behave? Cheers, Lyall.

diesel, kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks Lyall but the 'We got three fish' at the end had nothing to do with our day. it was only an example. Sorry for not being more explicit. Bill called this morning and he said we kept eight whiting. In all, well over a dozen were boated but bream and stuff were returned, regardless of size. The old girl did all that was asked of her, in the way it was always done. Most pleased. $1100 well spent. Noel.

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Good report, Noel and great to see you back on the water.

Jeff

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  5. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Sounds like money well spent, Noel. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  6. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes it was. Am most pleased with the job and being back out there. N.

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  7. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    A little something missed in the report.
    While we were pumping worms, we saw something not encountered before. In the bait sieve was a tiny flathead and I mean about 25-30mm long. Neither Bill nor I had ever imagined one being picked up with a bait pump but had of course seen them in shallow water often enough. A few minutes later a second one was found. There is no mistaken identity as they look like nothing but tiny dusky flathead, complete with all the markings. While of course it's good to see, they also have to survive all the hazards like birds and other fish during their growing up. It's a hard life being a small fish. Noel.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019