1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

HI HO-HI HO

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Old fisho, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    'A fishing we did go'. Bill and I took my boat out yesterday. He really does like the electric motor. There's piles of black ash and debris around the shores in places but the water was clean. The sky is still completely covered by smoke and fires a few kilometres away were seen, still burning strongly. The fishing wasn't too bad. Right down past the boatshed cafe, less than a kilometre from the entrance, we threw SPs around for a while, boating a couple of keeper flathead, small snapper, flounder, whiting, tailer, and throw back flatties, all of which went back. Going up into the channel, just as it opens into the broadwater in front of the caravan park, we collected another couple of keepers and of course, the usual few small ones. Then the wind forced us to find shelter and after trying a couple of spots, returned to the bottom of the lake near the entrance for some sheltered water and picked up another couple of nice table sized flathead. Bill was having a horror day. He had boated one flathead all day. That meant I had caught all the others. Nobody knows why but it's happened to us all. I said to him, "It's been a good day, we can go in when you're ready". he replied "It's been a shocker day for me. I'll have three more casts, then I'm happy to call it a day". Second cast he say's "I've got a fish and I think it's a good one". It wasn't long before I agreed it was a good one. I tapped him on the shoulder and pointed to my video glasses to show him they were switched on and tried to get a bit of film of his fish. It was eventually bo ated as the pics show and clocked in at 78cm, not the 74 I started with, and also his best yet as a follow on from a 73 he got last time out. That was then his biggest and this one eclipsed that by 4cm. He went home in a most happy state, even though he had only one for the table.

Screenshot (20).png
    Being led to the net.

Screenshot (21).png
    Now safely in the net, well at least as much would fit.
    Screenshot (22).png Bill giving her as swim before letting go.
    Lovely fat fish that ended a good day.
    Noel
    Hasn't had one that big for two years, but hasn't been in their country often either. Been up the river catching whiting instead.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    blair, creekboy, Bluefin and 8 others like this.
  2. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    Lovely flattie Noel, thats a cracker! ... Good to see the fish arent put off by the smoke and fires in your area.

:D

3. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Thanks, the images posted are not really good. They are screen shots from the video They are more fuzzy than the video which shows much cleaner images. Better than nothing though, without any showing off.
    Noel

4. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Sounds to have been a fabulous day on the water Noel; good to hear you're back out again and having a good session. Pity to hear Bill was having a rough day, but at least he finished on a good high. :)

Those pics are fine. If you'd tried to snap them with a camera there's every chance they'd have come out worse, unless you had a really high shutter speed and jagged the focus. They don't look fuzzy to me, but if it is, it is probably from the fact the fish was moving in the frame. Either way, as you say, better to have those shots than nothing at all.

5. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    No doubt you're right Tim, I'm simply (and simple) accustomed to images from an 18megapix camera, capable of high shutter speeds.
    N

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  6. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Congratulations to Bill on a new Pb, when I am having a bad day I remind myself I am just saving up for a big one.
    Tight lines Pete.

creekboy, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  7. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Quote Post-fire erosion and flooding can carry soil and ash (and anything in its path) to streams and lakes. Un quote the fires we had a few years ago affected the streams badly but not so much the lake.all wine makers around us were throwing the Grapes away, but one winery made a few dozen Bottles that people could try. they stunk and tasted of just smoke.
    Wally

8. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Yes Wal, you are right of course.
    I recall after the fires that hit Canberra years ago (2003?) the water supply from Cotter Dam was unusable. I think they had to set up an additional filtration plant.
    Noel

9. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    You know? fishermen can be their own worst enemy. My good mate Bill, and I hope he remains one, noted when first on the water the other day, that there were lots of small baitfish about. I agreed, having also seen them. I fished most of the day with 65mm Squidgy Wrigglers in their bloodworm colour because of what we'd seen and caught all but two fish for the day. Bill was still tying on SPs about 125mm. At one stage I suggested he borrow a couple of what I used but he declined. I find that a bit foolish after being aware of the number of almost tiny baitfish seen and I mean lots of them. Surely they'd likely be the staple diet for feeding flathead. There's little doubt his unsuccessful day was mainly due to not following his own observations. It's a bit like tying on a #6 Mrs Simpson during a daytime mayfly or caddis hatch
    at Eucumbene[FONT="Verdana",Arial,sans-serif].[/FONT]
    Does anyone else see this sort of thing happen?​
    Noel
    Always curious about such things

Tackleberry, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Maybe he wanted to "blood" his 125mm sp, I have sometimes persevered for a short while then changed lure or fly to whats being struck.
    when I used to fish fish oberon whith mate I made sure I had a different fly on and we kept changing till fish started taking, this usually worked well.
    Won a comp whith a shitty looking green fly, I think we had one each and were nervous we would loose them to snags but luckily didn't. wallerrang comp winning fly.jpg Wallerang comp 1st place team & outright.jpg

11. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    I see it all the time Noel but you can't tell some people so these days I say nothing ......

12. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I say same as noel, suggest trying lure that's working.

13. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I opted for saying nothing as I normally would. It's their choice,
    Noel

creekboy, Tackleberry and kev209 like this.
  14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Subject to fair weather, we hope to get out on the lake tomorrow (and again Tuesday with another friend, Ray). Ray is the new chum fisher I've taken out a couple of times. We have a group coming here Sunday morning for a big bash, Australia Day breakfast, with champagne cocktails, eggs benedict etc. It's a great time to entertain. Ray and his good lady (he doesn't have any other sort, will be there too). Going to men's Shed this morning. There's an urgent request from one of our nearby small communities for any sort of tool, wood working, gardening etc, as they have lost all. As I am now limited in use of tools, we have quite a bit we can donate.
    Will report on the fishing as it comes to hand.
    Noel

15. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Blair I wonder if i ever bumped you at Oberon, practically lived out there when the fishing was excellent.
    Cheers Pete

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Our day has turned pear shaped. We have about 35-40kmh of wind and there are still fires burning not far up the Tuross River. Adaminaby is still at risk and flights out of Canberra have ceased due to the out of control fire near the airport. Moruya, 16km away has reached 39.8c and the heat in the wind, from the fires, is awesome. They are only a few km away as the crow flies. Fishing tomorrow may be off. Time will tell. Will keep updating this particular post through 'edit'.
    Noel

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    creekboy, Madfisher and blair like this.
  17. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Narh Noel don't do that as then it disappears from watched forums and I have to try and find it .
    Just keep posting as normal ......

creekboy, Old fisho and blair like this.
  18. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    May have pete, I was in the Sydney flyrodders and used to stay at a sheep farm towards black springs, wish the fisheries would stock oberon again used to have great weekends up there.

creekboy, Madfisher and Old fisho like this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Looks like the fires have got it in for you Noel, fires at tuross, fires near your van at eucenbene and fires near your sons place at Queanbeyan.:eek:

creekboy and Old fisho like this.
  20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    OK Tack. We just had a phone call from RFS saying the fire at Moruya is out of control and could head toward Tuross. Be prepared to leave if necessary. It's not an evacuation order, more- to be prepared if it comes this way. Son Peter has sent his staff home from work in Queanbeyan just case they can't get there later. The workshop is on the fire side of Queanbeyan.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020