1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

High tec now low Tech

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    When I was young I used to catch Minnows for bait With an old jar (no net) with a lip like a preserving jar. This was good for tying bailing twine round and putting in bread, after finding a shoal of Minnows on the edge of the river bank. Then with jar full of water I would lower it down slowly and they would shoot off but soon came back swimming around the jar they would enter the jar shoot in and out but after awhile they stayed in and pulled on the bread in about 10 mins or so with a few in there you would yank the jar up and perhaps have a couple of minnows at a time sometimes more sometimes none.
    Bait collected I would go to my favourite spot and cast out my Linen line of 4 lbs off of my modified washing tub stirrer with a size 10 hook embedded in minnow with nothing showing and a tiny split shot to keep bait from rising. If there was a slightest part of hook showing when the fish approached it the fish would go to the side and back to its spot ,now if the bait fell short on the river bed the fish would still take it if no hook showing.
    The moral of this blog is simple low tech works. My high tech gear now is cheap rods, reels good line, to many others I am lo Tech. Having my own coy being run for me enabled me to fish nearly every day when and where ever I wanted. but I never needed any fishing gear that coy's suck you into buying.
    Wally

diesel, creekboy, Old fisho and 3 others like this.
  2. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    A lesson in there for all of us Wally. Good comment

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.