1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

I know it's cold and wet

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, May 10, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I know the weather is crap here in Victoria, I'm still helping around the house at present, but someone must have something to post. You may have read an interesting article, visited the local tackle shop, run over next doors cat, post a joke anything. Looking forward to reading a few new posts.

Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Kev. Just for you. How is Lyn going now? I see by the melb rain fall site you have had double what we got in Greensborough, but we still got enough to start seeing green on the reserve behind us. As far as fish go I can only comment on Aldi battered fillets fried in olive oil, very tasty . Cheers, Lyall.

Master Baiter, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Same old story Kev! It may be over 3 months since I caught my last fish. I went last week without luck. I was going to do a report but got sidetracked when I was at my sister's last weekend. I do reports there as I use her desktop. Difficulties with posting pics is hindering this site.

I am a bit more active on another site but generally only responding to threads when I can offer some advice. To be honest, some days I think social media is a crock of sh!t!
    Cheers
    Team Bender

Master Baiter, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I have been busy restoring a 1977 Yamaha yz125 gives me something to do when the wheather and tides are not good for fishing.
    cheers

5. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Lyn's finally on the mend, but gets frustrated not being able to do things.
    As for the rain, its about time we got a bit it always seems to go around us.

I have to agree with you Jim, I gave a couple of face book sites the flick because of the crap

If you can post some pictures of the Yamy I'd like to see it.

creekboy likes this.
  6. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Me too I loved my old YZ 460 it was an animal in its day but my try love for chook chasers is a CR 500 .

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  7. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Oh yeah I bought 2 bream rods for bait soaking they are drying atm as I painted the tips white for night fishing will post a pic or to later ......

Cheers TAC

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Well I have been purchasing hooks and sinkers ready for Trout fishing at Doon. It was so cold the other morning I went and bought some Seabee neoprene gloves and a camo Millauwaukie battery heated Jacket. Very impressed it has two heat settings for the body and a setting for the pockets, it also has a usb connection on the battery holder so You can charge up your I phone and it is wind and rain proof. Because I had to buy the battery and charger separately so to make it worth while I bought a Millwaukie m12 led high performance flash light which has a close and a very wide beam and it pulls out to go to 300mts. I thought I would use the same battery to use for torch and jacket. That was a pain so I went and bought another battery.
    I also Bought a battery chainsaw save the problems of starting up the petrol model. Then again had to purchase battery and charger separately this is a 36 volt. Now to make this worth while I bought a pole saw love them to.
    Wally

kev209, creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Lots been happening here socially, making contributions fairly rare but have just had a couple sojourns out on the lake.
    Trip one was after we repaired the electric motor and it performed perfectly. Ran it for a full day and it never missed a beat. I remain grateful for the support of Watersnake (Jarvis Walker/marine). Best service imaginable.
    That day out we had perhaps a dozen small flatties and brought home four that were not too much over their 36cm. Not an earth shattering day at all.
    Last Thursday, with a guy from the local Men's Shed where I hang out at times, we went well up the Tuross River to chase some whiting. We've had lots of good sized fish this year but most are caught on blood worms. I haven't been up there for a few years because of the worm issue. Pumping bait is not an option for me but Bill offered to do the work bit. Before doing all that, typically I had to chuck (there's that word again) a soft plastic for a while and decked a 48cm on the second cast. A good start to any day. It was the only one on SP for the day but I didn't persevere. We were after whiting that day.
    We started fishing worms and it wasn't long before the first whiting came on board while small tailer removed a few hooks and plastic tails during the day. With a gourmet packed lunch and plenty of good coffee, it was a top day. In the shelter below the river banks, with the wind passing overhead, we fished water around half a metre deep over a sand bottom in delightful sunshine. The water was as smooth as ice much of the day. We finished the day with five bream, three went 30cm and the others just under. They were all returned. We never keep bream. We had perhaps a dozen whiting but put back a few that were just over the limit size. There have been many this year over 40 but we got none over 33cm. We had a 42 on a vibe a week or so ago.
    We will return as a famous man once said but only if someone can do the worm pumping bit. I wouldn't last five minutes. Never happened before but Boss has offered to come and do that bit even though she would doubtless be a bit slower. I rated the offer 11/10.
    My SP gear, being very sensitive, is imminently suited to whiting fishing. The return is perhaps next Tuesday, subject to climatic conditions and the bait pumper agreeing of course.
    Noel.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Tackleberry, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  10. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Noel. Sounds like a good trip with a good result as well. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  11. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    And Kev; it's not really cold and wet here.

12. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The rain has stopped for a while, but it's still bl##dy cold

creekboy likes this.
  13. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    X2, Kev. Maybe we can send our excess of crap weather up to Noel for a while? Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.
  14. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    The rain is a pain in the bum, but we definitely need it. Before the rain most of the local farm dams were dry, and the 3 local lakes I fish [well where I sit and drown worms] are well down. I haven't had a chance to see how things are now.

Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  15. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I got some new squidgies from Aldi 2 weeks ago for $5 a pop- including the elusive X-factor scent... WINNING!
    Havent been out in a little bit but planning to go give them a crack in the creek this weekend coming some time on the flatties.

Also picked up a freebie kayak (sit in type) from a bloke down the street who was moving and throwing it out- needs a couple of repairs but seems to be fairly water tight... Gave her a clean up on the weekend just gone and will try to get some rod holders and a few mods done in the coming weeks- then a water test around the local try to chase some EP's and Bream.

Will post up some piccies when she is completed

:)

16. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good one noel, picking up thumper whiting 2nd cast.

17. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Here is a pic of poor old YZ, I have a lot of work to restore it I enjoy the restoring, might race it in vintage MX when finished but wont ride like I used to. Couldn't find a YZ490L to restore. Those CR500,s were fast.
    Trying to find OEM exhaust for it. Can drag and drop pics taken by 10 year old $70 kodak 14 meg camera, moto g5 phone pics wil not upload. Er as this is a fishing forum may be handy for riding into bush to good fishing spots.

Attached Files:

18. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Have you tried uploading your photos from your phone to your computer. Then drag and drop

Old fisho and creekboy like this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    yes Kev, some sort of software disagreement I think.

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  20. Tackleberry

Sep 30, 2016
    Oh the memories.... and yes the best way I could describe the CR500 to my son's was think of an angry 2 stroke bike on meth and speed . The new bikes are strong but there is just something about an old 2 stroke scrambler.....

Old fisho, creekboy and kev209 like this.