1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

I'm Drooling

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by diesel, Jun 16, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I once owned a baitcaster rod with a pistol grip and it was probably the most accurate casting rod I have ever used. For some unknown reason, I gave it to a young bloke down the road along with a heap of other gear to give him a bit of a leg up in the world of fishing, but have since found out that he lost interest and gave all the gear to somebody else. I've been hunting around for the past few years to see if I could buy another pistol grip rod with very little success, until I found this yesterday.

p20170512p12.jpg
    The grip and reel seat are sold separate to the blank and I am going to own one of these........as soon as I win lotto. Price: 41,000 Japanese yen which at the current exchange rate is just under $500. Add the blank at 34,000 yen ($412) and we are looking at near enough to $900. Can I justify spending that much on just one rod? Considering how much I spend each year on rods, reels, lures, line etc, the answer is yes (bugger waiting for a lotto win) ...... provided the bride is totally unaware that it ever happened.

Team Diesel
    .......secretly planning covert operation to fool the bride.

2. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Haha, good luck, never seems to work for me, cheers davo

3. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Like Davo said. Cheers, Lyall.

4. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I'm lucky, Lyn lets me buy all the fishing gear I can hide

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    The answer is no! But...I think you need two of them therefore justifying $1800 for 2 rods is easily done as you get twice as many rods!!!!!!

As soon as I saw the 'Megabass' brand name...that told me...$$$$$$$! And lots of them!:) I had a look on google and it appears that the blanks are interchangeable! That means you can get more than one blank for them = more $$$$$$$! I think you need more than one!:cool:
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Handing out poor financial advice for over 30 years!

AJ Fishman, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Thanks, Jim. I passed your advice on to the bride and her first comment was "who the f##k is Jim?"

"He is my financial advisor for all things fishing" says me.

"Tell him to bugger off" says her.

"That's a bit harsh" says me.

"Tell him to please bugger off then" says her, " and while you're at it, you can bugger off too if you spend $900 plus on a fishing rod."

Hmmm, I think we have both been told, Jim.

Team Diesel
    ......working on plan B.

7. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    There is always tattslotto. I put my weekly ticket on yesterday and found out today I had used my old numbers so had to put it on again today. Lets see what happens with 2 entries on sat, mon, and Wednesday, maybe an omen. Cheers, Lyall.

8. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Somehow I am not seeing the 'covertness' you mentioned!:cool: This may be a longshot but that may have been your downfall!:cool:

On another note, you now have me looking at them! From what I can tell there are a couple options of grip choice. A difficult decision of which of course would be easily solved by purchasing both as I mentioned in my first post.
    Megabass grip.jpg
    And three options of blanks. Of course I guess you could buy all three!
    megabass blanks.png
    I assume you will get one eventually diesel, any idea which blank you will get and what fish you will target? Last but not least, if you commit you do realise that you then have to also commit to the 'Megabass' way of life (always ends up with you having no money left) and purchase suitable reels and expensive, I mean impressive lures!
    megabass reel.jpg
    The only thing I would be concerned about is how secure is the rod blank in the grip? My main fear would be launching the rod blank. I, as many others probably have, have launched the top section of a cheap spin rod on the cast and then retrieved hoping not to snag up and lose the top section. I would be in a state of shock to see the blank launch from the grip! If the rod was one piece, I may have ended up buying one eventually!
    cheers
    Team Shepparton
    A bit more 'upmarket' (read stupid) than some towns to the south!

9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    There is a method in my madness, Jim. I have learned from experience that by mentioning the fact that I was thinking about making such a purchase and then being super nice to her after her initial dummy spit, she invariably comes to the conclusion that I am a decent all round good bloke who thoroughly deserves an expensive treat once in a while. If that doesn't work, then I will implement Plan B which is so secret that even I don't even know what it is.

I would go for the 6' blank, the weight rating for both line and lures would suit the style of fishing I like, which is chasing barra, threadfin salmon and jacks up here in the north and the blank wouldn't be too heavy for flicking lures at bass, yellas and possibly even trout down south.

I would imagine that Megabass have designed some fool proof connection mechanism to prevent separation. Perhaps it uses a taper fit, so that the tighter the turn on the locking ferrule, the tighter the blank to not just prevent separation, but to prevent rotation. It's a shame they are not marketed here in Oz so that you can inspect before committing to the purchase.

Jeff

10. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The Megabass website shows the connection mechanism which is close to what I thought it would be.

pagani_trad_grip_d01-1.jpg

Grip.JPG
    The Grip has a 3 pronged clamp that tightens on the knurled metal sleeve of the blank as the ferrule is screwed down - simple, but looks to be very effective.

Blank.JPG

Pagani_Trad_Snake_Pattern_Grip_grip.jpg

This snake skin model is pure art.

Jeff

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  11. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    To compliment such a fine piece of craftmanship, one would have to seriously consider the appropriate reel. If money was no object, then this at a smidgen over $1200 would be the go.

MONOBLOCK.jpg

Dare I suggest such a purchase to the bride?

I value parts of my anatomy far too much for what would be a rather painful exercise in suggesting such an indulgence.

Jeff

12. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    I also checked out Megabass reel prices!:) I may go without a car and use my insurance payout to get one of these combo's!:cool: Then travel on the local bus to prime...carp locations!

I posted a pic of the rod on a UK forum I am on. There have been other rods made using the same concept. Word is that they are 100% reliable and you can not fear launching the blank into outer space when hurling a lure out for one of them 1 metre carp!
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Never mentions on the UK forum what I do to carp!

13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    The old pistol grip outfit I had was an Ugly Stik with a Shimano Bantam low profile reel - great for sight casting on carp. The pic below was one I caught near Renmark a few years back using small chunks of squid tentacle for bait - the carp went nuts over it.

036) Carp 49 of 56.JPG

Jeff

14. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Not a bad size carp there, Jeff. Cheers, Lyall.

AJ Fishman and diesel like this.
  15. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I spent a week at that spot on the Murray, Lyall, on a trip back home from Smoky Bay and pulled in 156 carp, 1 redfin and a couple of silver perch. Sight casting for carp on light gear was some of the best fishing fun I've had and I will definitely get back for another crack at them in the near future.

Jeff

creekboy, AJ Fishman and kev209 like this.
  16. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    This gear belongs in an art gallery. Perfection, Wood grain only for me . Man Cave !!! wall art.

kev209, Rod Bender, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  17. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    My thoughts also, Howard - you are a man of exquisite taste.

If I do end up buying one, I don't think I will be just chucking it in the back of the truck like I do with some of my other gear at times. The bride has given me a choice, it's the Megabass or the new tinny that I've been thinking about, one or the other, but not both. Some serious thinking required.

Jeff

kev209, Rod Bender and creekboy like this.
  18. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Plan B

diesel, kev209 and creekboy like this.
  19. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Well, 'Plan B' hasn't worked thanks to a bum draw in the lotto on Saturday night.

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  20. creekboy

Sep 7, 2016
    Sorry , Jeff. I had the same result as you on Saturday night. Cheers, Lyall.

kev209 likes this.