1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Kayak electric motor info wanted

Discussion in 'Kayak Fishing' started by strikem, Dec 30, 2016.

1. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    I'm sure someone here has one fitted.Wanted to know what brand,thrust etc.
    I'm gathering info so i can place a order,just no idea what works or doesn't

2. westyonline

westyonline death to the mud guzzlers

Nov 24, 2009
    it depends how fast and far you want to travel
    the battery is the biggest thing to consider, as a bigger motor requires a bigger battery
    i have a jarvis walker T28 ASP on my hobie outback, goes well for what i use it for

kev209 likes this.
  3. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    Ended up getting a 24lb thrust with short shaft and a AH50 marine battery.
    All held together with

kev209 and Madfisher like this.
  4. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Nice mate!

Just be aware if you're in VIC (not sure if you are or not) you technically need to register your kayak, have a boat license and all relevant safety gear!

It's a bit of a joke, but I know people who've been done for using an unregistered vessel on marine waters!

Cheers,

Sam

kev209 likes this.
  5. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    We don't need any of that stuff here

kev209 likes this.
  6. westyonline

westyonline death to the mud guzzlers

Nov 24, 2009
    yeah, that was the same with canberra when i lived there
    got flagged by the water police once, they asked if i had all the safety gear in my canoe, eg bailer,lifejacket for each occupant, and a bloody fire extinguisher?..what the hell for, the motor is 2 foot below the surface..I hate cops, all Cops!

kev209 likes this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I'm not sure where you are strikem, but as of last May, the regulations around the country (no info for ACT) were as follows:

NT:- do what you like, no regs apart from basic safety gear, ie pfd and a light after sunset.

NSW:- registration required if motor power above 4kw and license required if speed above 10 knots.

VIC:- both registration and license required.

TAS:- registration and license required if motor power above 2.9kw.

SA:- registration and license required for all motor driven craft.

WA:- registration required and license if motor power above 4.5kw.

QLD:- registration required if motor power above 3kw and license required if motor power above 4.5kw.

As can be seen, once again we have a complete lack of uniformity in regulations and each state has different regs about safety gear. :confused:

It's not easy being a fisho, is it?

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  8. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    Exemptions from registration, boat licence and carrying specified safety equipment requirements for vessels fitted with an engine, may be granted by the Chief Executive (CE), Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure (DPTI) for kayaks and canoes fitted with an electric motor of not more than 150 newtons (33.7 lb thrust).

The granting of exemption from registration may be granted by the CE DPTI provided;

• the kayak or canoe is fitted with an electric motor of not more than 150 newtons (33.7 lb thrust)
    • the kayak or canoe and electric motor is maintained to the original manufacturer’s specifications and design capabilities
    • the power source for the electric motor is a marine grade closed cell 12 volt battery

diesel and kev209 like this.
  9. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    So you must be in South Oz strikem.

The operative word in that exemption is "may" and there is a better than even chance that it wont be granted if the kayak does not meet the second provision and that is the "grey area" of the regulation. As you would be aware, there are kayaks that have been designed and manufactured to take motors and those that haven't, the former meeting the design capabilities as prescribed in the exemption proviso and the latter not meeting them.

I guess it all comes down to the interpretation of what constitutes "design capabilities". Does an aftermarket universal transom meet the requirements and if that is the case, then why have that provision at all because it is not part of the original design. That is part of the grey area, who determines if the design is capable? The kayak owner or some over officious inspector who in all likelihood has never been in a kayak in their life?

I thought about putting a motor on my kayak and even considered rigging up a prop on an old Stihl brushcutter laying in the shed after seeing one in action on a canoe out on the Barcoo, but after delving into the regulations, I scrapped the idea altogether.

Jeff

AWL and kev209 like this.
  10. strikem

strikem Active Member

May 5, 2008
    During the last 12 months every application is being approved provided they are within those guidelines

rigging up a prop on an old Stihl brushcutter laying in the shed after seeing one in action on a canoe
    $300 incl del

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    AWL, kev209 and diesel like this.