1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Lead sinkers

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by Lazyfisher, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Lazyfisher

Lazyfisher Active Member

Aug 10, 2016
    On the news this morning they were talking about brass fittings in our taps and the lead that comes from them which made me think of all the lead that us fishermen throw into the waters, there must be tones of it in all our rivers seems sort of silly really once it's in there it would be impossible to get it out what are other people's thoughts on this will we keep throwing it in till it's to late or do something about it.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  2. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    To be honest this is the first time I have really thought about it. I read an article a while back about duck shooting and how much lead is left behind by shooters. I don't know where or how they got there stats, but the lead contamination overall seamed quite high.

diesel and creekboy like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I have seen environmentally friendly sinkers in stores. They are expensive and that put me off them. I dare say one day we are going to be forced to use an alternative.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Lead foot!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Those that come up with such statistics can only do it by estimate, Kev, the approximate number of shooters in a given area multiplied by the approximate number of rounds fired in a season with an approximate weight of lead shot per round.

In the case of extreme environmentalist groups, who strive to have shooting and fishing banned, the figure is reached by extracting a number from a lower part of their anatomy ;).

Jeff

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    When I shot serious trap I used up to 27,000 shells a year at one stage. Note: I, and many others used to buy shot by the ton, (2240lb) then used it 1& 1/8 oz per load. That's a lot of shells. At one stage, Frankston Australia Gun Club in Melbourne, which was one of the biggest, often having 200 shooters
    at a normal shoot, was paid a lot of money by a company that came in and removed the top soil to reclaim the old lead shot in front of all their traps. Many tons were collected but how many and its value is not known. Steel shot is preferred by those believing they know but it would have to be low grade steel to my mind. If it were hard it would destroy a gun barrel in short time. I have seen 'non lead' sinkers in tackle shops but not often. In general, we have to concede that lead is a problem material.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.