1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Let There Be Light

Discussion in 'Camping, Carravanning & 4x4' started by diesel, Feb 16, 2018.

1. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I was going to put this into my trip preparation thread, but decided to whack it in here where it belongs.

I've been away with blokes on overnight beach fishing sessions and also extended trips where invariably somebody has left his torch at home or forgot to replace batteries - most annoying when others want to borrow your light, just another reason why I prefer to fish alone. To me, an effective torch is an important item in my kit and I carry one whenever I go fishing.

Over the years, I have used all sorts of lights, hurricane lamps, Tilly lights, gas powered, home made weird apparatus that looked like it came off the Starship Enterprise and lately it has been what is arguably the most effective to date - LED. I have a couple of high end Lenser P17 torches that are great in the outback for spotting wild dogs sneaking around and will throw an intense white beam out to about 300 metres, but they are not really suited for fishing, too heavy and not robust enough to handle the hard knocks and possibly the occasional dunking.

My standard 'go to' fishing light is a Black Diamond head light, good on batteries and has an adjustable light intensity function plus all the other crap that lights have these days, including a strobe function that I find very handy should I feel like indulging in a spot of disco dancing when the fishing goes quiet.

Yesterday I bought a new Dolphin torch, the 4 led model and I was surprised how good a light it throws. A $25 torch (including battery) almost as bright and effective as the Led Lenser P17 that set me back $170 and like all Dolphins, it floats, you can drop it, kick it, throw it, stomp on it or let your dog chew on it and it will still work. Good value.

So, that's my spin on lights, functional and effective, but not trying to imitate a football stadium.

Jeff :cool:

2. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Jeff. Dolphins have always been a great lantern. Cheers, creekboy.

kev209 and diesel like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I've had a few Dolphins over the years, Lyall, last one before this is floating somewhere in the Great Australian Bight, could be anywhere by now.

They were definitely made for fishos.

Jeff :cool:

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  4. AWL

AWL Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2016
    Might have to look into getting one of them myself Jeff,currently have the old style incandescent in the boat at the moment. Other good thing about them is you can take the battery out and use them as a bailer if needed.

Rod Bender, kev209 and diesel like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Never thought about using one as a bailer, Andy. I'm always learning something new here on TBX.

Jeff :)

kev209 likes this.
  6. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I purchased a Led Lensor headlamp around 6 years ago. Despite the fact it cost me around $150, it finally went into the rubbish bin a few weeks ago. Whilst it was still under warranty, the clip on the battery compartment broke but I must say they looked after me and replaced the cover. Then when it was out of warranty the cover broke again. The store I purchased it from would not do anything. I sent a very nasty email to Led Lensor telling them what I thought of their product!

Despite it being out of warranty I received an apologetic email saying that they would replace the cover again and sent me a form to fill out. Time went by and by the time I got around to filling out the form (I had purchased another light) I chucked a hissy fit when the form required a pic of the serial number. Even with macro mode I could not get a clear pic of the number so decided to throw the torch in the bin! I will not knock their service but with the process I had to go through, I just couldn't be bothered.

The 'short term replacement' torch I purchased was a Spro model similar to this. It cost mke around $50.
    spro headlamp.jpg
    It has a high and low beam (not adjustable) as well as a red lamp. This will come in very handy when I decide to take up my hobby of astronomy and I do use it whilst fishing if i do not need a bright light. The lamp also has a UV light. There is a lot of talk about how fish see UV light etc. I am rather skeptical about the whole thing but you can shine the UV light onto lures to see what they look like and some of them do show up rather well! A UV light will also come in handy if you want to do the 'CSI' thing in regards to finding blood stains! I am not sure but some hunters may use it at night to track blood trails.
    I have heard good things about the Black Diamond brand. Can you adjust the beam on it?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Blinded by the light!

kev209 likes this.
  7. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    There is a brightness adjustment, Jim, but no beam adjustment. With fresh batteries, the light output is good for around 50 metres from the main single led that can be bypassed to bring a couple of spread beam leds into play. There is also a red led plus strobe function. The switch setup took some getting used to after using a Lenser headlamp, but I"m happy with the Black Diamond.

Jeff

Rod Bender and kev209 like this.