1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Life jackets, Compulsory for Rock Fishing

Discussion in 'Industry News & Releases' started by Robert Stone, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Robert Stone

Robert Stone Active Member

Jan 2, 2017
    According to a spokesman from the Central Coast Council, life jackets will be compulsory for Rock Fishing in the following Council areas. Central Coast, Lake Macquarie and Pt.Stephens. The Councils are waiting for approval from the NSW Government, should be in December 2019.

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I sometimes wondered when they would be made compulsory for some locations, Robert, but it would be a logistical nightmare to police considering the number of people fishing at any one time and the spots they fish from.

I wonder who will police it?

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  3. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    I have been working with the Council for 12 months to get this up and running. To many people have died on the Central Coast because they didn't have life jackets on. The signs in ten different languages are ready to go.There will be press and radio advertising. Council rangers will be watching so will the Dept.of Fisheries. Where there is National parkes the Wildlife Service will be there. This is not aimed at the Local guys who know the drill. It is the visitors, and most of them who can't swim or they don't speak English and don't know the dangers of Rock Fishing.

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    You've got a thumbs up from me Robert.

kev209 and Old fisho like this.
  5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Me too Jeff---BIG TIME!!!
    Many years ago, two of us, ignorant of course, were caught by a wave while fishing on the Victorian south coast, near Port Campbell. Anyone knowing the area is aware that it is mostly sheer cliffs into deep water. If you're in, there's no way out. Having water coming down from above us was the most terrifying experience of my life. However, a life jacket may have only made finding the bodies a bit more simple. That's if you weren't shredded on the cliff face.
    No more rock fishing for this little Indian.
    Noel
    Still scared.

kev209 likes this.
  6. Robert Stone

Jan 2, 2017
    I only know the Eastern suburbs, Northern Beaches and now where I live the Central Coast. First lesson to go rock fishing, you must be able to swim. If you can't swim forget it. Doesn't matter how good you are at fishing, Rock fishing is dangerous.

reelaxation, kev209 and Old fisho like this.