1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

looking Forward To This In September

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Master Baiter, Jul 29, 2019.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Alvey are certainly doing everything they can to resurrect themselves. It will be interesting to see what the new products are! I wonder if they will improve the selection of rods that they have available? I have seen some pics of up and coming new products and I am not sure if I can see any rods in the pic.

As it stands, I think Synder may have the 'Alvey' rod market covered!
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Thinks Wally should add some Snyders to his collection!

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Jim had a look at them yesterday from Wilson where you ordered your two . I saw the low mount you mentioned but I guess you have to get in contact for the prices.
    Wally

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  3. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The Contessas I ordered were around the $250 mark. I am not sure if this price was discounted for me by my local tackle store as I spend so much there.

The options you have....contact Wilson via their website alrhough some companies are hesitant to give you a price. See if your local store sells Wilson gear and they can give you a price and order it. Have a look online and if all else fails, I can order it through my local.

Is it the Contessa you are looking at?
    Cheers
    Jim

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  4. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The rods arrived yesterday. I checked them out today but didn't have the money to get them. They are different to what I am used to! They don't appear to be as similar to the black queen as I thought but I am not too concerned. Maybe not as whippy but they will ne fine for what I want.

I tried out some reels on them. I will likely get a baitrunner reel for each. A size 6000 reel balanced it out well but may be overkill I think.
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Now has a longer rod.

5. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    I am somewhat amazed by the ongoing popularity of Black Queen rods. Many guys I know still love and use them. I also owned one years ago but gave it away as I never liked using it.
    From my view I see them as too soft and gutless, even more so when compared to our newer, faster action rods that are also much lighter. But I admit I am not a bait fisher and I guess that was the purpose for which they were made. I note many of you guys write of bigger reels than I use too. My go to reels are Shimano Seido 1000s with 4lb braid thereon. These combinations have decked some rather great fish at times and have never let me down or failed. I watched a couple of vids the other day, about catching flathead on soft plastics. One guy told how he was using super light leaders because of the clear water. He was using he said, 10lb fluorocarbon. I only use 6lb as the norm. Have gone down to 4lb leaders when the water is as clear as at present. I usually use 3lb mono when chasing whiting up the river.
    But I guess when the chips are down, it's horses for courses as usual. We all have our personal ideas and we have no option but to use what we have.
    Noel

diesel, blair, Master Baiter and 2 others like this.
  6. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    I saw on talking fishing a while back where one of Tackle Worlds stores was still selling heaps of Black Queen Rods.
    Another JW solid series rod the 6'6'' Erskine Deluxe is selling pretty good as well. A few months ago Lyn picked up one for me at Kmart, $50 for a combo.
    Over the past couple of years I have sold or given away most of my good gear that was just sitting there gathering dust.
    I kept my Black Queen, Black Queen Deluxe and a Shimano Telescopic combo Lyn bought for me over 30 years ago.
    I know my gear isn't top of the range but it suits me, and most of it Lyn has bought.
    The best thing is Lyn can't complain about what fishing gear I've got, because she bought most of it for me.

7. creekboy

creekboy Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Hi, Kev. The new black queens are not the same quality as the originals, but it still suits us old farts. Cheers, Lyall.

8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I would hate to see what that guys uses as heavy leader if he calls 10lb light!

diesel, creekboy, kev209 and 2 others like this.
  9. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Probably a length of stainless braided wire Blair.

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    wouldn't need a sinker, or a filleting knife cause he would catch sweet f.a

diesel, Old fisho and kev209 like this.
  11. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    The first episode of the new season starts today, Sunday. 7Mate at 12 noon...in Vic anyway.

diesel, kev209 and Master Baiter like this.
  12. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Good one Jim, I forgot tied up with the in’s and out’s of footy.
    Wally

diesel and kev209 like this.
  13. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I was ratting around in my gear today checking the things I will take down south with me in a couple of weeks and the lightest leader I possess is 10lb ranging right up to 80lb in 10lb intervals. I only use 10lb when chasing Jungle Perch, mainly because for every JP hooked, I can guarantee that I will hook a dozen Sooty Grunter - a fish that likes to play dirty.

Looks like it's a visit to a tackle shop somewhere in my travels to stock up on some lighter braid and leader - not many places stock the light stuff up here in the north, no demand for it.

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  14. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    I am guessing 6lb for redfin diesel, I don't think I have caught a redfin, apparently Oberon dam not far from lake Lyle is fishing well for redfin. Bring your jumper and a coat it can get cold in that area especially for you queenslanders:)

diesel, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  15. Rod Bender

Aug 20, 2016
    Watched most of the second ep today. Barra fishing today...still haven't spotted an Alvey reel yet! I dare say when they have a beach fishing ep the Alvey's will get a run.
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Looking forward to seeing the Alvey's in action!

diesel and kev209 like this.
  16. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Yeah, 6lb would be the go, I reckon.

I wont be in the Lithgow area before November, probably have some cool nights, but day temps should be bearable. I was there in November 3 years ago and the temperature was quite good - shorts and t-shirts most of the time.

Jeff

kev209 likes this.
  17. Master Baiter

Mar 31, 2017
    Me too, Jim

kev209 likes this.