1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Lox 1 - 3 kg 7ft rod

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Master Baiter, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    looking at getting a new rod and at the moment a lox 1 - 3 kg 7ft. Looking at reviews the tip can be broken easily , can anyone give me their opinons if using the same.Or would a 2 - 4kg be a better option or can someone recomend something else other than the Lox and Nitro. Used in Lakes for Bait and Lure fishing
    Cheers Wally

creekboy, kev209 and diesel like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I haven't had any personal experience with Lox or Nitro rods Wally, but I think all 1-3 kg graphite rods need to be treated with care in relation to tip damage. I use a 1-3 kg Samaki Zing 6'10" extra light and the tip is about as thick as a match stick. I also use a 2-4 kg Shimano Starlo Classix 7'2" for flats fishing and it also has a very small diameter tip section but a lot stronger down low compared to the Zing.

I guess it all depends on reels also, the Zing handles a 1000 size really well, but doesn't feel right with a 2500 and the Starlo Classix is the opposite. Both rods are great for flicking lightweight lures and bait fishing.

Jeff

3. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I also do not have any experience with the rods you mention but when I did research on the lox a while ago I found the same as you...issues with broken tips. Knowing where you fish, I would go with a 2 - 4 kg rod.
    Cheers
    Team Bender

4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Another rod that I have in my arsenal that is a lot tougher than the 2 that I mentioned is a 6'6" Shimano 2-5 kg TK3G, one of my high end rods using a stronger blank technology. I use a Stradic 2500FJ on it loaded with 10lb braid for chasing sooty grunter and mangrove jacks in the rivers up here and the outfit handles the job of pulling a fish out of cover really well. Both of these species of fish are downright dirty fighters that don't seem to feel the pain of a hook in their gob like a lot of other species that are more easily bought to the net.

I don't know if your water down there is as snaggy as what we have up here, Wally, but I think this is where you need the strength in a rod. Some of the lighter blanks are a pleasure to use in open water, but when it comes to applying a bit of force to turn a fish away from a rock bar or a log, I like to know that the rod will punch above it's weight if need be.

Jeff

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    kev209, creekboy and Rod Bender like this.
  5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Thank you all for that it sounded like a good idea to go lighter at the time. But I like to try and reach the other side of the lake, this is fine with my graphite and fibreglass clear tip rods. I won’t get a lox I would be very upset seeing my line with rod bits hanging off it spread out like my smalls on a washing line
    Wally

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.