1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Lure fishing,What it means to Me.

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by Bluefin, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    I started using Rebell Crawdad lures that looked like a pink nipper 40 odd years ago. On the sand / mud flats Up river from Berowra. Casting with a small Shimano Bantum 100. Then slowly retrieving. Bream were the target, But flathead were common. We used the deep divers so they kicked up the sand as they bounced along the bottom. It took me a long time to use soft plastics. Probably around 2000. 19 years ago! I loved the little creature type lures. 1" burkley Nymphs. I thought I needed small SP's for Bream. They have small mouths !! Never caught much. Started using 3" power Haugs for flathead, which worked well, But I started catching Bream more often. Move on to today, not much has changed, I still love my critters. The power Haug is still in use, Zman I like. Cructeaz ,Turbocraw. I still fish the flats a lot. But have learnt to fish the deep water as well. I have moved on to much larger lures, 2" is my smallest up to 4". Grubs and Paddle tail have been added also. Like the look of the Zman Swim Slims. I still slow roll my HB's bouncing the Bottom. My SP's are 90% slow lift, drop and pause. Sax Scent is the greatest change. Crab is my go to. I use a lot of it too !! Makes a huge difference. Adds taste and smell to the lure. They hold on longer giving you a longer window to strike. Sounders with side and down scan are almost cheating in deep water !! Love It ! I have now added soft and Metal Vibes to my arsenal. 70 m/m samaki vibelicious in white bait! Once again lift and drop. Deep water , find the bait!! Along the shoreline, Hunt your fish, Where are they likely to be. Under what circumstances have I found them before? Where are they likely to hide to ambush their prey?
    Hunting is my favourite form of of fishing. Howard.

reelaxation, kev209, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Although I have been known to perch myself on the end of a jetty (pier to you Mexicans) whilst flicking out a squid jig or waiting for crabs to enter the net, I am also a hunter when it comes to fishing. I'm nearly always on the move, never stay in the one place for too long whether it be land based or on the water. Even when I am stationary, I cover a lot of water with my lure casting until I get the strike that I was hoping for and it rarely fails.

I do change my fishing style quite often in a single session until I find the one that is going to work best for the water I am fishing on any given day and that applies to both salt and fresh water. If I am fishing the flats for whiting, I usually start off with topwater hb's and if after 10 or a dozen casts I don't get a strike, I'll change to slow rolling a soft plastic and if that fails, I move on to another spot and start again. Always hunting and failure to find what I am looking for is not an option.

The same goes for chasing yellowbelly, be prepared to change your style if you're not getting strikes. I start with lipless cranks, if no strike I switch to a spinnerbait and if that fails I get in close to a snag and bob a soft plastic. If the fish are there, one of those 3 methods always lands me a fish and I guess in saying that, the question is how to know if the fish are there. Exactly what Howard said, where are they likely to be and under what circumstances have I found them before. Pick the right time of day when fish are actively feeding and sit back and study the water before casting your lure.

Jeff

blair, reelaxation, kev209 and 3 others like this.
  3. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    First fish I caught on a sp, a red mister twister, was a good sized queenfish up at cape York it had already flicked the lure out of the water whith its tail or side about 3 times out onto the sand beside me in the deep corner of an estuary (pennyfarther lagoon) I wondered what was going on it was coming up at high speed and belting it then I hooked it right in the middle of its adipose fin and it ripped off heaps of line went around the corner and I was holding my rod up to keep line above sandflat as it tore towards entrance, best fish of the trip. I had not caught any fish before or since on those lures.

creekboy and kev209 like this.
  4. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Always been jetty if long or a warf if wider than long here in Vic I always thought pier was a yank thing .......

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Maybe it's only the Melbournians who call them a pier, Tac. I have heard the term used a few times by different people and I thought it must be widely used in Vic.

Jeff

kev209, Tackleberry and creekboy like this.
  6. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    All I know about them is that they are good to fish off.

7. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    Yes things are changing ....... I don't see this as the country I was born in anymore the AUSSIE way of life is no longer allowed......

8. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    yeah I know mate , I am not even allowed to drink beer while operating a crane on a construction siteo_O

9. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    You will have to get the Union on to that

creekboy likes this.
  10. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Good idea Kev, will request it be written into next EBA "crane operaters entitled to a minimum of 6 stress relieving high alcohol beers per shift, more in hot wheather as required" , whish I was working on an EBA site under an EBA

11. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    A fair bit of truth in the comedy above and I agree with Tac too. Blair, why not just go fishing and you can have what you like. You might have to drive home though.

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  12. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    With the continuing spell of magnificent days; I took Bill for a day on the lake chasing flatties. The day was perfect with a high tide close to midday. We threw plastics all day and for a while I buzzed the water with a vibe. The result was fairly predictable. We brought home only two at 40 and one only slightly bigger. I brought one, 45-50, almost to the boat but it wasn't at all hooked and simply swam away when it got close. Throw in a dozen or so undersize flathead, a small snapper and an equally small tarwhine (the first I'd caught here) and that was the combined bag. During dinner with neighbours last night it was generally agreed that most keeper sized fish in the lake have been kept. The summer was
    horrendous w
    ith crowds on the water virtually daily for several months and the price to pay for that sort of pressure is an acute loss of fish numbers. That loss is of course in the legal sized fish range. The really big old girls go back most times.
    Better fishing next time. Noel

13. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Better than a dohnut Noel I will go for a reef bash tomorrow if wheather is good i have the time because I am in the s--t whith work because I am going on my NT trip next week, so less work = more fishing.

14. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I guess you fly to Darwin, then have transfers to Dundee Beach. Saw a bit on telly the other day about the return of a partly grown turtle to the ocean. It was done just near the boat launch area. It was normal to have a guy with a tractor to launch and retrieve all boats. Too easy then to get stuck in the sand. Have a good trip. Noel.

kev209 and creekboy like this.
  15. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Thanks Noel will give u guys a full report when I get back.

16. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    Perhaps it could be done as trickle feed rather than a lengthy epistle. What you think?

17. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Yes sounds like a good plan, I had to look up what epistle means I think I have only heard that term about once in my life, getting an education on the english language as well!
    I might do a series of short episodes building up the suspense and maybe alternate back and forth through them, including pics from my kodak, hopefully will catch something worth photoing.
    cheers

creekboy, kev209 and Rod Bender like this.
  18. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Have a great and safe trip Blair.

creekboy likes this.
  19. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    thx kev, this trips been a long time coming, watch out barra!

20. Old fisho

Sep 14, 2016
    I'm only me. I'm not everyone else but to me your suggestions in there seem excellent. I couldn't imagine a better way to update us. Barra are fine but they're not the end of fishing. I will surely upset guys by saying the barra I've caught and only up to about 80cm, using 20lb braid and surface poppers as big as submarines, were nothing special compared to the first one that was about 75 that I took on a home tied baitfish pattern fly while using an 8 weight fly rod. Another comparison I made was that few barra could keep up to a 3lb rainbow hooked on a fly. It's not just how big fish grow; it's also about the balance and ratios between equipment and fish. There's nothing wrong with hanging onto big queens either. They also get some good marlin and sails offshore too, saying nothing of the many northern snappers and dozens of other reef fish. They don't come much better than coral trout on a plate. Enjoy Dundee. I certainly did. Noel

blair, creekboy and kev209 like this.