1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Lure size...is bigger better?

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by Rod Bender, Mar 24, 2018.

1. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi all
    I am pondering one of fishing's big questions. If chasing the larger models of any particular species, will large lures always attract the larger fish of that species? I would hazard a guess that it varies amongst species as well.

When I used to chase redfin, I would often go for a larger lure just to eliminate the small annoying runts. So in this case, a larger lure may help. On saying that, my PB redfin (around 44cm's) was caught on an Oargee 'Lil Ripper'! Not really a large lure.

Many of my better trout (up to 55 cm's) have fallen to Rapala CD 1's. But on saying that, I haven't tried anything exceptionally large. Where I used to have good success, I would have liked to try a 13 cm jointed Rapala but the water conditions didn't suit. The rod I was using also may have struggled to handle the weight of the lure but I now have more sturdy rods (and lightweight as well) so I may try them.

For cod I have no doubt that 'big' is better. This is based on what I see the 'pros' use. I guess it also comes down to what you are trying to imitate. If there is a lot of mice around it may be pointless throwing a surface lure the size of a fridge! The downside of using large lures (for cod) is that you will likely exclude catching yellas. That is ok if you are a seasoned veteran chasing cod only. Not good if you are like me and after anything.

So what do you think? Does using big lures increase your chances of getting that big one?
    cheers
    Team Bender
    Making up for personal inadequacies by using large lures!

AJ Fishman, diesel, creekboy and 2 others like this.
  2. DeeBeeKay

DeeBeeKay Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    I think so Jim, as you said, also with cod as they'll take almost anything, cheers davo

diesel, creekboy and kev209 like this.
  3. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    With northern species like barra, jacks and threadies, big lures will catch big fish. There are some exceptions to the rule at times and a big fish will take a swipe at a smaller lure and invariably it ends up with a total bust-up - lost fish and lost lure or straightened hooks.

Jeff

creekboy, DeeBeeKay and kev209 like this.
  4. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    When you look at the size of some of the swim-baits being marketed these days, there is definitely a trend towards bigger lures for big fish. The same goes for a lot of hard-bodies and some soft plastics. There was a time when I would only ever purchase sp's up to 50 mm, now I look for the biggies in the 125 to 175 mm range because they will draw in the bigger fish that are not interested in the smaller lures.

Jeff

creekboy, DeeBeeKay and kev209 like this.
  5. Bluefin

Bluefin Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2016
    Would you blow your cover for a little crum? Small fish eat big baits too. !! And I am speaking from 60 years experience!!! Howard.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    Rod Bender, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  6. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Very true, Howard. I have often hooked tiny flathead when I have thrown out a big strip of mullet or a large whole squid on a ganged rig hoping for a big flathead or jewie, but it doesn't happen as much when using a large lure - for me anyway. Occasionally I have had a chopper tailor get hooked up when I've been using a large popper chasing mackerel, but it is rare - I've watched the tailor rush at the lure as if they would strike, only to back off.

Jeff

Rod Bender, creekboy and kev209 like this.