1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Making Berley and dough

Discussion in 'Chewing the fat' started by reelaxation, May 26, 2020.

1. reelaxation

reelaxation Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2016
    I have decided I am going to start making my own berley and pudding/dough when fishing the creek and inside brisbane waters, so I thought I would share my recipe's which I plan to use....

Berley Mix:
    1/2kg Chook Pellets
    6 weet bix
    1/4 loaf plain white bread shredded and made into small balls
    1/4 cup Tuna Oil
    Saltwater to form paste
    1 cup grated cheese
    Once this is made I plan to freeze the mixture and then when fishing put it in either a berley pot or stocking and throw it in the drink to dispserse.

Pudding Mix:
    1 cup plain flour
    3 TableSpoon Tuna Oil
    1/4 cup chook pellets
    1/4 cup grated cheese
    Water for mixing

anyone else make their own berley or pudding mix? What ingredients do you use and in what quantities?

... I will post up some progress as I learn to make these in the coming weeks, then any fish I catch on them will go in for a report.

Cheers
    Anthony

diesel and Master Baiter like this.
  2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    Both those mixes look okay Anthony and are very similar to mine, but the 2 magic ingredients that are missing are curry powder and dried garlic flakes/powder. For some reason, fish love them.

When beach fishing I load up an onion bag with berley and then stick it in one of those fish keeper bags, tie a 5 metre length of rope to the bag with an empty 3 litre plastic milk bottle on the other end that I bury in the sand as an anchor and only have the berley bag just inside the water line, not too far out. It doesn't take long to bring the small baitfish around and as you know being a beach fisho, small baitfish usually means the big predators are not far away.

Jeff

Old fisho, blair and reelaxation like this.
  3. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    Wicked thanks Jeff, I might make a batch loaded with Garlic and Curry Powder some time just to see what turns up. Some great tips on keeping the bag in the water and secured I have had loads of issues with drift and current so this might be the key to better berly and hopefully better success with the fish also :D

Old fisho, blair and diesel like this.
  4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Sound like something I would cook for dinner.

Old fisho and diesel like this.
  5. Missniss

Missniss Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Made me hungry :) lol
    I used to make a simple bread dough with tinned cat food (Oilier the better) and garlic powder.
    roll into little balls, bake in the oven till just cooked :)
    For some reason they loved it, fresh or salt water.
    Or soak squid (cut into thin strips) in chicken stock for a few days :) easy bait :)

6. reelaxation

Aug 12, 2016
    well I tried the berley but couldnt tell if the fish were there or not as it has been very slow last 2 outings, the first outing I got a small Whiting on the new Estuary rod, and yesterday we all got donuts in the fishing class I was teaching- but was a great morning and everyone learnt a few things so hopefully they can practice casting and baiting hooks to get amongst a few fishes in the coming weeks.

7. Old fisho

Old fisho Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2016
    Good to see Sandy's friendly face again.
    Thought we'd lost you forever.
    How's it all going for you?
    Noel

Missniss, blair and Tackleberry like this.
  8. Missniss

Missniss Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2018
    I will make a new thread Noel xx

blair likes this.