1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Melbourne Boat Show

Discussion in 'Fishing General Chat' started by kev209, Jun 4, 2019.

1. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    As I haven't been to a boat show for about 30 years and I don't think I'll ever get another chance, Lyn and I are going. Probably won't be there to long, but I'll see how things go. I'm looking forward to seeing how much tinnies have changed over the years. I'm not interested in larger boats never have been. Another thing I would like to have a look at is yaks and see how they are set up, maybe have a couple of beers. There advertising fishing tackle, I don't need any but may still have a look.

2019BoatShowLogo_FacebookProfile2500.jpg

2. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    It looks like being a big show, Kev. Heaps of exhibitors, not a lot of fishing tackle according to the list, but you can't go to the show and walk out empty handed. There's bound to be something to hang off your new fishing cart :).

I don't think tinnies have changed all that much over the past 30 years, but all the add on gear has certainly changed.

Jeff

creekboy, Rod Bender and kev209 like this.
  3. kev209

kev209 Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2016
    We have just got home from the Melbourne Boat show and what an eye opener. Millions of $ worth of boats I stated in my post I wasn't interested in the larger boats, but when we got there it was a different story. I had to have a look at some of those beautiful boats. The main reason for going to the show was to see how much the small tinnies had changed over the years, and boy have they changed. No distorted hulls near welds, no crappy welds. The dearer painted models were better finished off than some of the cars on the market. The carpeted floors, (what great fishing platforms they would be), rod holders, padded seats, live bait tanks, to mention a few. When looking at the prices of these boats I would say they would be out of reach of the average fisho. It was interesting looking at the yak set ups the seating etc. Surprisingly none were set up for fishing. The fishing tackle was a mixture of cheep junk and mid range gear with a small amount of brand name rods and reels. I spent about $15, got some hooks, line trimmer scissors and a small berley net.

4. blair

blair Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2018
    That was good restraint and discipline only coming out whith $15 worth of gear Kev, I am not game to go to a boat show might see something expensive I think I need.

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  5. diesel

diesel Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I can relate to that. Whenever I go to a boat, fishing, camping or agricultural show, I hand my credit card to the bride with strict instructions to belt me in the gob if I ask for it back before we get home and I limit my spending money to $100 max. I must admit that she has weakened on rare occasions when I have given her that 'sad dog look' which means that I will be miserable for days if I don't get what I need (read want, same thing to a fisho)

Jeff

creekboy, blair, kev209 and 1 other person like this.