1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Met Murray

Discussion in 'Aquarium Discussion' started by jedgpz, Aug 15, 2019.

1. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Say hi to Murray,
    Had him for for a bit, got him when he was 2 cms long
    Murray's are great fun to keep
    Cheers Jed
    upload_2019-8-15_22-14-14.png

creekboy, Madfisher, diesel and 2 others like this.
  2. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2016
    A few blokes around here have barra in tanks but MC are the ducks nuts AFAIC .

Pity about the background .

creekboy, diesel and kev209 like this.
  3. Madfisher

Madfisher Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Great stuff mate, I have had quite a few Murrays over the years, great pets. I had one that would take a prawn from my wifes hand, but no one else.
    Welcome to the forum to
    PS I currently have a rainbow trout thats nearly legal, my son has a Murray and two silvers.
    Cheers Pete

kev209, creekboy, diesel and 2 others like this.
  4. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Ha Tackleberry, Background is Melbourne so he must be a Yarra Cod ;)

5. Rod Bender

Rod Bender Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Nice! I have thought about getting one at times but have been put off by the fact that I will forever be having to catch food for it. I have since realised I can buy yabbies etc to feed them. Also, I found out recently that as I am a member of Native Fish Aus, I can keep Trout cod and maccas as well. Not sure if maccas require a special permit like the trouties but I think they do.

The only issue is legally obtaining the fish. I don't think the permit covers extracting a troutie from the Goulburn!:cool: I am going to ask the fisheries officers when I see them at work next.

What do you feed your cod Jed....apart from orange Bassman Spinnerbaits!:cool:
    Also, what size tank do you have?
    Cheers
    Team Bender
    Will need a 5,000 litre tank for the monster I get!

kev209, creekboy and diesel like this.
  6. jedgpz

jedgpz Active Member

Aug 15, 2019
    They eat anything,
    I feed mine cheese (yep i laugh when the cheese kills cod debates happen), freshwater shrimp and Yabbies (when I can get them), I freeze them when I get enough, Prawns from the supermarket (white spot free), Ham, Chicken, feeder fish, fish chunks, corn and peas, pork, bacon. He eats like a king.

As to tank size - he is in a 4 foot tank.

I got him from the pet shop in Shepp that is on high street towards the city. did not need a license.
    Cheers
    Jed