1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Minn Kota I-Pilot

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Vass, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    be interested to see it goes for you Stephen, be sure to keep us updated.
    Jules

2. gropper

gropper New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I have been told by 2 separate retailers who have confirmed with BLA (importers of Minn Kota) they will have stock of ipilot motors end of April. No need for the retrofit like at the moment. If your lucky enough to own a Terrova its a simple 1 plug change over. A bit more fiddling around with the other models with heat shrink and stuff. A search on you tube gives the low down on changeover. I'm guessing it should be a little cheaper being that it won't be doubling up on the auto pilot and co pilot on some of the existing models.

I'm ordering one so I hope there delivery predicition is correct!

cheers,
    Wayne

3. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    I have the terova with the us imported I pilot half the price on e buyers world works perfectly have used it every week since feb 1 best thing since sliced cheese on sliced bread for sale the co pilot removed from the terova
    Two words
    Get one

4. gropper

gropper New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Still negoiating with a retailer I have been buying off for over 20 years and the gap is narrowing.

5. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    mine was only 2 wires that needed heat shrink on them as it didnt have all the after market bits you would have upgraded on over the years that now become obsolete with I pilot.it was the first one that the company i bought it off had sold and at $780 it was cheaper than e buyers world when you take into account the conversion rate and the postage and if you have any problems the shipping back to the us

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  6. gropper

gropper New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Hi Stephen,
    That's the reason I think it will be cheaper when ippilot is factory fitted without the need to remove the existing features. Goods news for others that have done what you have done, they will be able to pick up cheap add on co-pilots and auto pilot from the others that have decided to upgrade to the iploiot. Everyone wins yeh, yeh!

7. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Just got mine today thinkin i best be trying it out tommorow somewhere, cant wait.

8. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    deej how did you find installing it
    and how many bars did you get on the gps i found it really needs a clear site to the south as i only got 2 bars max

9. cod adventurer

Jul 11, 2009
    bognoel
    did you have any gps drop outs ?

10. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    yeah to install was easy as 1 plug 4 screws on the terrova, havnt actually turned it on or anything yet see what happens tommorow if i can take it out ill let you know

11. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    These arnt worth a pinch of S%#T, needs more than a clear site to the south i tested it out this arvo if you hold the remote in the right spot, it will get 1 bar then you put spot lock on and it drops out of signal and you have to do everything manually, it may work fine out on a lake, maybe??? but i also stopped on top of a hill with about 15km of paddocks in all directions and got 1 bar. So all in all real happy i wasted 800 bucks on a oversized remote that apparently floats.

12. gropper

gropper New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Gees sorry to here that Deej,

Will you just live with it or will you take it further? Let us know how you get on because I have just ordered one and will be using around it bridgewater a lot, in a similar area to you. Very Concerning Big Noel has had same sort of issues but maybe not to the same extent.

cheers,
    Wayne

13. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I wonder if they set the US ones up to track different satellites. This could explain the poor signal lock. It will be interesting to see if the ones being imported by BLA have the same problem.

14. gropper

gropper New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Yes John it will be interesting.
    I have just emailed Minn Kota US and await there reply regarding this. I will keep everyone updated when I receive the response.

cheers,
    Wayne

15. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I have heard that the aus ones are identical they havnt changed a thing, the big drama i guess is the high banks around bridgewater but still doesnt explain why it had bugger all reception in the middle of open paddocks

16. cod adventurer

Jul 11, 2009

I am having some issues in sth east qld lakes as well I get full sat reception then wallap drop out or 1 bar most of the time held three bars for about an hour around miday on my last outing
    still very touchy sometimes will hold anchore for 1/2 hour then wont for 5 min at a time as for the cruise controll it dosnt even let you know when the sat drops out.
    I too am getting frustrated And i even tested the float on the remote when i threw it about 20 yards away with a dose of the shits. not something i recomend you do when the minnkota is your only form of propultion
    funny how the humminbird gps report screen shows fair to good sat service then the i pilot falls over again I could have kicked the minnkota of the bow completely
    I am not overly happy My only relief is i only paid 380.00 for my i pilot
    It will be some interesting times i think for our minnkota friends.

17. shep

shep New Member

Jan 25, 2010
    is it possible to run a external aerial? i hope there is a solution as i want one as well

18. cod adventurer

Jul 11, 2009
    I too have had a spat at minnkota
    I too will post reply
    I have had a few good days from the unit But the averages are now droping greatly

19. djgtom

djgtom New Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Ah crap, just ordered one of these jiggers for the new boat :mad::unsure:

20. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    yeah doesnt sound too flash.... sounds like folks are getting something that hasnt been properly field tested here in Aus... keep us informed on your responses from the manufacturers.