1. Welcome to Tacklebox.com.au

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view the discussions and access some of our other features. Registration is simple, fast and absolutely free.

Minn Kota I-Pilot

Discussion in 'Boats' started by Vass, Jul 26, 2009.

1. tednted

tednted New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    G'day Guys
    A guy in south africa informed me that his only drops out if it is too close to another transmitting gps !!!! Looks like ya might wanna try turning off your plotters if you've got them operating !!!
    Cheers AL

2. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Ayone else tried out the i pilot ????????????

All i can say is keep your shirt on
    Minn kota wont ingnore these complaints
    and it works fine as a co pilot for the interim
    You might not have any worries mine was fine for 8 outings The last three were disasters for the i pilot regarding gps reception quality
    I dont know what old mate was talking about with his
    I think he thinks the gps receiver is in the remote
    It is not its in the top of the minn kota and signal quality is relayed to the remote
    I would like to find out if a bigger or better gps antenna can be retro fitted Or for that matter use the nmea output of the humminbird
    I am so into the concept of the controll The way that it is formated is not bad
    BUT I AM REALLY GOING TO MISS THOSE SMALL REMOTES ON THE FISHING ROD
    They were awsome when tying to deal with 120cm+ barra in the sticks and having the boat controll at my fingertips
    I never used the foot pedal on the terova but it is now on deck as a alternative as the large remote means taking one hand of a bent rod!!!!!!!!!
    Keep your chin up mate and see how this pans out

3. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    be better if the i-pilot was interfaced with your GPS rather than stand alone in my opinion. ie using nmea hook up the i-pilot to your finder/plotter gps arial.
    im often using my gps to position myself for casting at unseen snags and would be hesitant to have to turn the finder/gps off!

4. cod adventurer

cod adventurer New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    I will try this but only the nmea out put transmits from a gps other than that they are only a reciever Tell me if im wrong

5. John h

John h New Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Yep, the GPS units only receive data from the satellites - They do not transmit a signal to the airwaves.

6. deej

deej New Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Aparently a rep for the company had used it up the murray and gave up on it dropping out all the time, this was a us version he had for 8 months or so before the release and they havnt changed a thing on them

7. tednted

tednted New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    to my way of thinking ,yes they are a receiver but he informed me that he has only noticed this prob when its on ??? Only one way to find out
    cheers AL

8. ranger198

ranger198 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    hi guys, there are some serious testing going with i pilot at the moment to resolve this issue of dropping out,most being done in victoria and tassie,so far testing with the revised unit has had no issues at all. will let you know as soon as i know more,cheers

9. Tombowler76

Tombowler76 EEEE OOORRR!

Jan 11, 2007
    thanks for the heads-up ranger198, so does that mean the "revised" unit will be a different model to be released in Oz, thus meaning the units available in the states will be an inferior product here?

10. tednted

tednted New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Thats interesting ranger !!!!
    Are you in some way connected with minn kota ??
    cheers AL

11. ranger198

ranger198 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    as far as i know the internals are revised only,thats about as much ive been told.cheers

12. ranger198

ranger198 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Hi AL, not directly associated with minnkota, just know a few guys who are,and thought id try and get some answers for you guys before you started to lose faith with minnkota. cheers

13. tednted

tednted New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Thanks Ranger ,
    I'd like to think that they are tryin to sort it out !!
    I reckon I'll hold back gettin the head unit for my terrova a little while & see if they can fix the problem!!
    $800.00 odd here & $379.00 in the Us ???? Talk about shaftin us again !!!
    Cheers AL

14. gropper

gropper New Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Up date,

No response from Minn Kota USA to date (4 days).
    BLA Head office QLD not aware of any issues.
    Left message with another BLA rep QLD to call with more experience and i'm awaiting his return call.
    Vic BLA rep not aware of any signal drop outs.

If I receive any additional info I'll pass it on.

Cheers,
    Wayne

15. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Hey AL, they might cost more but it's the warranty and support that will make the big difference.
    I'll say now that I work for a tacklestore and we sell em (or will when they get more in).
    But if you ahve a problem with an aussie bought one it goes to BLA and then they replace/repair.
    Problem with an american one and you have to send it over. It's the risks that you take I guess.
    I've mentioned this thread to our electronics guys at the store too and they're chasing it up as well, so hopefully somebody will be able to get an answer eventually.
    (I told the boss I would "test drive" one for a couple of weeks, but that didn't go down too well :p).
    Hopefully the problem can be fixed guys, because the possibility of this thing is pretty amazing.
    I was talking to the BLA rep about them last time he was in and he was saying they used them on the Murray with no problems, but he WAS the rep who is trying to make us buy more, so take it with a grain of salt.
    I hope this info helps guys,

Sam

16. bognoel

bognoel New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    ok well i did stir up a hornets nest didnt i
    the i pilot worked well for me when i had reception from the gps as most have said as it drops out quite alot. on mulwala the northern side was the best and all functions worked well. the anchor is fantastic as it kept me in a 1 meter spot no worrys and sometimes smaller. the advanced auto pilot worked well after it had 5 sec to work out where i pointed it but did drift a little off course before correcting it self.the track feature worked within a meter of where i originally went as i did it in a very tight area to see how it worked.the only gripe is the reception and hopefully they work out a fix soon as at the moment you cannot rely on it at all

17. ranger198

ranger198 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    hi, i can tell you now that the new revised unit is in production now as we speak.the US got the green light from the aussies this week for the all ok.so guys guys hang in there. new units will be replaced to registered owners in the very short future,cheers

18. ranger198

ranger198 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    hi skipzx, i too work for the industry and are holding back on selling till issue resolved,.skip i was told the same by BLA,dont talk to the reps.gotta speak to the right guys,CHEERS

19. ranger198

ranger198 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    hi ,i can tell you now no (std) BLA rep knows anything about I PILOT issues, for one reason,anyway guys the fix is around the corner hang in there. cheers

20. skipzx

skipzx Active Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Haha yeah Ranger, as I said mate, I passed it onto our electronics guys... They're the ones that are checking it out so hopefully they can get an answer soon.
    Hopefully that fix isn't too far away :p